Grass cutting height

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by New O. Saints, Mar 3, 2019.

1. New O. Saints

New O. Saints LawnSite Member

This will be my first year in business and will be doing only mowing. Can someone tell me the proper mowing height for Bermuda grass. I plan on doing small residential. They are popping all over where I live. This is who I plan to target. Plan on charging 40$ for my services. Any help would be appreciated. I’m located in San Antonio area.

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

I'd say 2-3 inches but that is a very general figure. There's a thousand what ifs, you might want to read similar threads on this subject.

When you say $40 does that mean that's what you charge on any yard?

3. CJ's Mowing Service

CJ's Mowing Service LawnSite Member

I’m 2 hours north of you, I generally go 3”. If they want it shorter that’s fine, however those shorter ones need to irrigate often.

sehitchman likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    New O. Saints

No 40$ is my lowest amount for any yard. But for small lots as you would find in tight residential neighborhoods it will be 40-60. Sorry. I think I posted this thread twice. Just don’t want to scalp someone’s yard. The lowest my trim star will go is 1.5 inches. I’ve got the muck kit installed on it right now. Thank you for your response

854C6CFC-BD88-40CD-8E78-366865CF1602.png

5. OP
    OP
    New O. Saints

Thanks for the advice cj mowing. They are building new residential neighborhoods all around me and some of the sod hasn’t fully set in yet. But I’m pretty sure it’s Bermuda grass. I just need to study up on Bermuda height cutting and just some general Advice I can give them. I’m not offering any other services but mowing. No real interest in fert or weed control etc.

CJ's Mowing Service likes this.
  6. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I’ve been hitting those tiny yards at $25. There’s 3 different groups of them across from jobs I already mow and it wouldn’t take over 10 minuets so I thought my price was fair. I’ve never been hired to do a single one of them. I think the problem is they’re so quick to do with a push mower that nobody is paying for them.

7. OP
    OP
    New O. Saints

I never thought of it that way mowing monkey. I can’t believe no one has hit you up on your offer. I will give 35-40 a try and let you know how it goes. But it’s to take me more than 10 min for sure until I figure things out

8. CJ's Mowing Service

CJ's Mowing Service LawnSite Member

Sure thing!

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

2.5"-3" is a good rule of thumb. if they are weekly yards and kept watered then 2" is fine.

ARN Greencare, sehitchman and Doc8406 like this.
  10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Don't get locked into "I'm going to cut X grass at X height, period". Every yard is different, different environmental, maintenance & etc. conditions may dictate different heights. Even the same yard may need different heights at different times of the year.

Does grass go dormant in your area? If so now or sometime soon it would be good to scalp it down.

Like I said don't get locked in to one single thing, keep an open mind. Read more posts on here and other info. OBSERVE the results of what you do. Not unusual to need to up the height as the season goes. Bermuda grows fast in peak season, if you take too much off the top it will have a scalped look. I could go on and on