Grass Flap and Powerchute guys - ever leave it closed full time?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Derwood, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Derwood

Derwood LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking about a chute blocker for my 61 V+ (I haven't decided on which one, or even IF I'm getting one, yet). I'm wondering if any of you who already have one, ever leave the chute blocker closed for extended periods of time. I can't see doing it in the thick of Spring, for example. But in this recent dry weather in my area, on really windy days, I'm wondering if that would help knock down some of the mess that blows up in my face.

I put my factory chute blocker back on this spring. I bungee it up for 75% of my cutting. But when it's really, really windy and I have to cut in such a way that I get tons of grass blowing back at me, I drop it down. It doesn't keep everything off of me, but it definitely cuts it by more than half. I am wondering if on those days I could just keep the chute blocker down to accomplish this (even better perhaps). That might be an added benefit to all the other reasons for installing one.

On a side note, some younger fellas at the gas station called me a hack because I had the factory chute guard on my machine. Does that make me a hack lol???

hort101 likes this.
  2. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Senior Member

I thought the the hack was the clown running flap up when it doesn’t need to be. Almost seems like they’re trying to hurt or damage something.

3. CuttingEdgeLandscapes

CuttingEdgeLandscapes LawnSite Member

We run grass flaps and have them closed on any yards with a lot of leaves down to mulch them up. Even with them down with dusty conditions the dust is still up in your face.

4. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Power chute on my ferris. I love how easy it is to open and close with my finger (It's on a wb).
    It can't be left closed extended times while mowing or it leaves a real bad window. I do leave it closed ALOT in the fall when mulching leaves, but I don't care if I window them.
    What I am disappointed in is the fact that it won't actually stay closed. The wind of the blades blow the thing open real easy. For the fall when mulching leaves I keep a bungee cord on the deck to keep it forced closed. Pretty disappointed in that for the cost.

JLSLLC likes this.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Quickchute is the ticket if you aren't opening and closing it 60 times an hour. We run closed 90% of time unless in tall stuff,

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

What are y'all running for blades to be able to run chute down? If I run my Grass Flap down for too long on my Vride, you start windrowing pretty bad.

7. Derwood

Only thing I don't like about the quick chute is having that lever sticking up there

8. Derwood

I wouldn't run it down for extended periods of time when the grass is thicker/longer (if it caused windrows). But I MIGHT run it partially down if that was possible.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We mow CW outside to inside we pick up that "so call windrow" on next pass.