• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

Grass Going Dormant

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic
You can tell by looking at this grass mowing is becoming very slow in my area. We are getting in very bad need of rain. You can even see the corn rolling up in places from lack of water.

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Grits

LawnSite Silver Member
My area is in the same boat as ya'll. Need some rain BAD!!

CFB

LawnSite Senior Member
gonna be a bigtime drought year I think. Never seen a dry may in my life in Illinois until this year.

OP
puppypaws

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic
I wish we could send some your way. Your corn sure is ahead of ours as ours is only 2-3" high.
This corn should be waste high, all my land has been 100% no till for 20 years and I have been using poultry litter for over 40 years. You know the land is highly productive but we have had no water since it was planted, well we had 2 or 3 tenths a couple of times, enough to activate the premerge chemicals.

DLCS

LawnSite Platinum Member
This corn should be waste high, all my land has been 100% no till for 20 years and I have been using poultry litter for over 40 years. You know the land is highly productive but we have had no water since it was planted, well we had 2 or 3 tenths a couple of times, enough to activate the premerge chemicals.

Puppypaws,

You need some of these.....

ir_precorner.jpg

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
First sign of a slow down I raise my blades to 3.25" on the Wb, 3.625" (between 3.5 and 3.75) on the Z.
The Z stays there, but the Wb I might take it up to 3.5" yet.

Less weeds, less heat stress issues, the grass gets cut like it should be getting cut, and as a bonus, less scalping.

Slow, but rain we got in va, bit sporadic but on track.

Mr.Mow-It-All

LawnSite Senior Member
You can tell by looking at this grass mowing is becoming very slow in my area. We are getting in very bad need of rain. You can even see the corn rolling up in places from lack of water.
Sure wish we could have givin you some from last week. Last week I think we had 6-7 inches, not counting the 2-3 from the week before. Wetest May we have ever seen here. Out of the 180+ properties, we mowed 5.....YEH a total of 5 last week. Needless to say we worked 6 11-12 hour days this week to get caught up.

Just too bad it can't be spread out. Last year we had one of the driest ever.

Good luck.