1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Grass ID Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kppurn, Jun 28, 2004.

1. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I'll admit, I'm not that great at grass identification. I have a few pictures of some grass that is growing in bunches on a customers property. It will not cut. My blades are changed everyday and the few spots where this stuff is growing give the appearance that it was mowed with a dull blade. I can't figure out what it is. I don't know if the pictures will do any justice, but I figured I would try here before I take it to the county extension office or Lesco. Anyone have any ideas.

grass1.jpg

2. kppurn

Picture #2.............

grass2.jpg

3. kppurn

Picture #3................

grass3.jpg

4. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

looks like onion grass to me, take a smell and it will tell you

5. kppurn

It's not wild onion. It does look like it in the picture though.
    I don't know if the pictures show enough to get a ID or at least a head start. I tried to get some closer shots showing the auricles, etc. but they didn't turn out very well.

This grass has a waxy looking leaf blade and is hairy. I will probably take a sample somewhere when I get a chance. I just want to know what this is.

6. viking72

viking72 LawnSite Member