Grass id please.

Coachbob

LawnSite Senior Member
Not sure if this is fescue or Poa or? No seedhead. Popping up after overseeding ball field.
1637609371303.jpeg
1637609371303.jpeg
7FF74AC8-9743-499B-B05F-4E1305F1C4D6.jpeg

KerbDMK

LawnSite Fanatic
Hey Coach, the dark green color, clumpy nature, and pointy leaf tip all point to perennial ryegrass or tall fescue. If the leaves look like they are coming out of the stem folded in half it is likely perennial ryegrass. If the leaves look like they are coming out of the stem rolled up like a cigar it’s likely tall fescue.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Tall fescue is known for having prominent leaf veins--but no midvein or reduced midveins.
Also tall fescue has microscopic thorns or barbs along the leaf edges. You can feel these by fingers or rubbing the leaf edge gently along the lips.

It is thought the barbs reduce insect feeding.

OP
Coachbob

Coachbob

LawnSite Senior Member
Hey Coach, the dark green color, clumpy nature, and pointy leaf tip all point to perennial ryegrass or tall fescue. If the leaves look like they are coming out of the stem folded in half it is likely perennial ryegrass. If the leaves look like they are coming out of the stem rolled up like a cigar it’s likely tall fescue.
I always thought these were clumpy rye in the past, but now thinking fescue. It does have a rolled vernation. A couple of the clumps i pulled had what appears to be rhizomes, something i wasn’t expecting, but I’m told some fescues actually produce rhizomes. It’s so prevalent on the infield, i can’t imagine where it came from. I don’t use topper when i seed, just mow in with a reel mower. I really thought it was leftover rye, but not really adding up. Puzzling, and some areas too late to do anything about.

OP
Coachbob

Coachbob

LawnSite Senior Member
Here is the infield situation, total nightmare. prg is starting to pop on rest of field, though.
1637815439638.jpeg
1637815439638.jpeg

KerbDMK

LawnSite Fanatic
Happy Thanksgiving Coach!

Wow, I’m actually surprised to hear that. I would have bet money that it was perennial rye. I refrained from saying that earlier because I did see a couple of wider leaves with ribbing on them in the background of the close-up photo and thought maybe you should take a close look at the vernation just to make sure.

It could be that you have some of both. It’s common for annual ryegrass seed to also contain perennial ryegrass seed. It’s not so common for tall fescue to contaminate ryegrass seed but tall fescue seed is similar in size and would be difficult to separate from ryegrass seed.

Some modern cultivars of both perennial ryegrass and tall fescue are now available that produce rhizomes.

I saw in another thread of yours that you were forced to use annual ryegrass seed this year. That is unfortunate because annual ryegrass is so much lighter in color than perennial ryegrass and tall fescue. Tall fescue in perennial ryegrass would be much more difficult to notice.

It looks like these clumps are survivors from past seedings.

Last edited:
OP
Coachbob

Coachbob

LawnSite Senior Member
Happy Thanksgiving Coach!

Wow, I’m actually surprised to hear that. I would have bet money that it was perennial rye. I refrained from saying that earlier because I did see a couple of wider leaves with ribbing on them in the background of the close-up photo and thought maybe you should take a close look at the vernation just to make sure.

It could be that you have some of both. It’s common for annual ryegrass seed to also contain perennial ryegrass seed. It’s not so common for tall fescue to contaminate ryegrass seed but tall fescue seed is similar in size and would be difficult to separate from ryegrass seed.

Some modern cultivars of both perennial ryegrass and tall fescue are now available that produce rhizomes.

I saw in another thread of yours that you were forced to use annual ryegrass seed this year. That is unfortunate because annual ryegrass is so much lighter in color than perennial ryegrass and tall fescue. Tall fescue in perennial ryegrass would be much more difficult to notice.

It looks like these clumps are survivors from past seedings.
Thank you for the reply. I do believe I’m dealing with more than one grass here, as you suggest. I usually use monument or Katana to spray out the PRG but last year we used Certainty. It was much slower and not as effective as the other two, so i am inclined to think this was rye that survived. I’m going to check the plants again and see if any have folded vernations. Didn’t realize some ryes have rhizomes too. Yes, a different field of mine used annual ryegrass and its the unfortunate reality of the seed availability and price problems this year. PRG is 2.50 per pound here, if you can find any. The field in this thread was seeded with PRG we snagged in August at 1.60 per pound. My friend at Nutrien ag found a pallet that was cancelled and tagged it for me knowing i would need it.

KerbDMK

LawnSite Fanatic
Thank you for the reply. I do believe I’m dealing with more than one grass here, as you suggest. I usually use monument or Katana to spray out the PRG but last year we used Certainty. It was much slower and not as effective as the other two, so i am inclined to think this was rye that survived. I’m going to check the plants again and see if any have folded vernations. Didn’t realize some ryes have rhizomes too. Yes, a different field of mine used annual ryegrass and its the unfortunate reality of the seed availability and price problems this year. PRG is 2.50 per pound here, if you can find any. The field in this thread was seeded with PRG we snagged in August at 1.60 per pound. My friend at Nutrien ag found a pallet that was cancelled and tagged it for me knowing i would need it.
You're welcome, at least this field should darken up as the season progresses and become more uniform in color. :)

Top Forums