1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Grass not very green!!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by yungman, Apr 24, 2008.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

The grass in my lawn was put in 2 years ago. It had never been aerated and dethatched until lately. I just bought the Mantis with dethatcher to dethatch the lawn and use a manuel core aerator to aerate the whole thing. There was so much dead grass under the green layer that I have to dethatch twice because so much stuff came out I can't see where to redo. I filled up a 40 gallon can and more for a 3000 sqft lawn. After the second dethatching, I started to see the dirt here and there so I take it that I did enough damage already.

It has been 10 days since. The grass start growing out and the lawn does look a lot better. But I still see quite a bit of dry stuff and the grass can still be greener. What should I do? I water quite a bit. I put fertilizer already according to instruction. There is no brown spot so I take that I did not over fertilize.

Am I too impatient or should I wait for the bore spots( very small here and there, about one to two inches max diameter only ) to get fill out and dethatch one more time? Any suggestion?

I don't know what kind of grass. It start to turn yellow when the temperature go below 38 deg. F this pass winter. This must not be a cold weather grass. That's all I can say.
    Thanks