1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Grass Seed in Rolled Fabric - help

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by leejoy, Apr 29, 2006.

  1. leejoy

    leejoy LawnSite Member
    Messages: 2


    I've seen new lawns started with that grass seed embedded in large rolls that cover large areas. typically used for commercial and industrial sites. What is that product called? I can't find it at any landscape supply website or local garden center. I have also seen the "sprayed on" type of seed media where a "green" sprayed mixture of seed and protective coating is applied to new soil. What is that called?

    Also, what is the recomended method or sequence of events to start a new lawn where an existing lawn is already established but is half dead. Other than tearing it all out and bringing in new soil which is a major job, what other options are there? what about dethatching the existing turf, then reseeding? or is that a waste of time. I am in northern Illinois area.


  2. gammon landscaping

    gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 553

    well in rolles there are a few types
    1 rolled straw comes in single or double netted
    2 the excelser or futura it is coconut or wood fiber better but cost more
    3 blue/yellow this is the only product that has the seed fert in it it is a paper towel type of material very expencive
    4 hydroseeding is the other process you were talking about

Share This Page