• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Grass Stitcher Review – Buy One

Barefoot James

LawnSite Senior Member
Due to several phone calls and requests for information –
The Grass Stitcher - www.grassstitcher.com - is a very heavy-duty hand tool used to cultivate soil, do mini plowing jobs, and remove weedy areas or even help to aerate small areas. Organic grass guys should not go with out one. It is an awesome new tool in my toolbox. I picked up one at the GIE show and got to use it everyday this past Nov.

We all have been using the Garden Weasel that has worked great – unfortunately they are for light duty and tend to wear out with commercial use – built for the home owner. The GW tines break and the pins that hold them on are a joke.

The Grass Stitcher is all resin plastic down there and if that resin plastic is as tough as I think it is then I don't see how you could break it. The tines are all one piece resin plastic with a heavy duty circle plastic in the center that rotate around another plastic rod – they inter connect so no pins are required, that would break – except a heavy duty cotter pin at the end and outside the commercial aluminum frame. This GS is very heavy-duty hand tool.

Another cool feature is it has a footpad. It will just poke holes or completely rip up the turf or weeds with more foot pressure. But the #1 feature is it lays a great seed bed prep, both for pure dirt or to just thicke existing grass. I also bought two more sets of tines so I can have a double wide set or singlewide set – depends on the area I need to do. We also noticed the grass growth pattern (when it germinated) was zig zagged - like a zipper or stitch - not in rows. That is very cool!

I like it allot and it will help me big time. We have done some areas with it this past fall that wore us out but we did not have to bring out the big guns my Lawn Solutions Turf Revitalizer (MY #1 money maker). Some areas we did with the GS, as large as 500 sq ft - I would never even try that with a Weasel – it’s a great tool for the box.

quackgrass

LawnSite Senior Member
Amen!!

All of my lawn trucks have a stitcher to utilize a 5 gallon pail of pre-germinated grass seed mixed with compost and zeba granules.

We mostly repair insect damage, piss spots left by dogs, and places were customers left something on the turf too long. Customers love it!

We use it for every reseed job in places the slit seeder or aerator can't reach also.

Valk

LawnSite Gold Member
Do you all use a 'single' or a 'double' stitcher?
How much should one weigh to make the 'double' work doubly-effective?

EastCoast

LawnSite Senior Member
I would purchase one but not happy with the resin plastic.

BIOGRASS

LawnSite Member
I have been thinking of getting one and think I will make the dive and try one on out. Thanks for the advice.

OP
B

Barefoot James

LawnSite Senior Member
I would purchase one but not happy with the resin plastic.
Why? I say resin plastic but they are plastic something - I thought I remembered resin plastic. Bottom line I attended the biggest farm show (indoors) last wk and they had soooo many things made out of this basically indestructible material it was ridiculous. The stuff is very durable we have taken our grass stitcher and banged and ground it into the pavement to try to break it - even this winter in single digits and it has not broke. So durability is for sure in this product. If this is not your concern please explain?
I will promote anything - that works for me - because I want to help cut through the BS that some advertisers claim.

Valk

LawnSite Gold Member
Does the double stitcher work well...or is using a single stitcher better?

OP
B

Barefoot James

LawnSite Senior Member
Valk - I gave a pretty detailed description above. I do lots of seeding jobs and this is a BIG part of my business so I use both. If not start with the single wide and you can always order another set of tines - cause they screw together, to create a double wide. I have a single wide and two more that are already together (3 sets total) cause I don't want to screw them together and then to the handle (basically only 2 bolds vs 4). I'm thinking of just getting another handle and have a double wide and single. I all depends on how big an area you want to stitch. With the double you could do 1000 sq ft areas but you would be dead in about an hour - get a Turf Revitalizer for these jobs - see link above! But I have done a 500 sq ft area in about 20 mins with lots of resting - cause I did not have my TR on the truck. I can't get any more detailed than that - hope this helps!
The fact you have asked this twice now I would go with the single!

NattyLawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
I bought one before starting my seeding last fall. I really like it. It's perfect for seeding small areas that I don't want to drag the seeder out for. We had a wet fall, so using the Stitcher was a breeze. The true test will be a dry late summer early fall.

One word of caution...Steer clear of any leaves! They may want to market it to roadside litter crews as it picks up most anything.

Probably going to get a double as well.