1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Grass types

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vipermanz, Aug 23, 2001.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

can anybody identify this one? it has me puzzled(again)

grassty.jpg

2. vipermanz

grassty1.jpg

3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

St. Augustine . You asked this before with the first pic didn't you. ( I remember the picture). Or it might have been someone else.

4. vipermanz

thanks alan, no, that was MY yard , this is my new customers yard and i noticed it cut great and stripes nicely too

5. lawnperfections

lawnperfections LawnSite Member

vipermanz - you said it striped nicely? what are you doing? all we have down here is Flortam, Palmedow(misspelled) and Bitter Blue types of St. Augustine. I haven't been able to get it to stripe nor have I ever seen it striped. If I could that would set me apart from all the LCO in Jacksonville.

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

This brings up a question I have. Is there a book or maybe even a website that shows photos and descriptions of types of grasses?

I know there are like thousands of varieties, but something where I could just learn the basics?

Thanks.

7. lawnboy82

lawnboy82 Banned

Gogetter-
    I right now am looking at my turf book- "Turfgrass Management" by A.J. Turgeon. One book will not suffice. However this book is a good one for learning turf.

8. lawnboy82

lawnboy82 Banned

I was just flipping through there and found a mathematical formula for how to cut grass, at what speed, height, etc.

9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd like to see a photo .....the St. Aug in our area barely leaves what may even be called a stripe .......

the stuff in the photo is St. Aug .....but such a thick, coarse, stiff blade does not lay down when passed over to give the "stripe effect" from the sunlight

10. vipermanz

i cut with dbl blades on a 21", that might have done it

i really need to get a grass book