GrassFlap Review

dago52

LawnSite Senior Member
So I decided to purchase an OCDC for my Scag V-Ride 48". I did a bunch of research and decided to go with Grassflap. Once I decided on Grassflap, I had a couple of questions. I sent an email to David, who was very responsive and helpful. I ordered my kit on a Sunday and received it the following Wednesday. The packaging was well done and the parts are heavy duty. The directions were ok, but could have been a little more detailed. Anyway, I was able to install it in a couple of hours including fine tuning the cable & spring adjustment. I used it for the first time today and it worked perfectly. Also, I can still lift my platform with the foot pedal installed. I don't why I waited so long to purchase an OCDC, but it madw the jobs much easier. I am very happy with the purcahse and would highly recommend Grassflap.

Thanks

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
And instead of blowing clippings out of beds and hard surfaces after mowing you just have to blow the line of clumped grass when the grass passes through three chambers and hits the flap.

They never worked here. Turf is too thick and fast growing. Mulch kits on all mowers where beds and hard surfaces are plentiful.

OP
dago52

dago52

LawnSite Senior Member
I noticed a clumps, but made another quick pass and blew them away from the beds.

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
Yea. Here a second pass just exacerbates the clumping. Need a full kit to be able to do a return pass in thick turf and clean it up.

had them on 3 mowers. Just made huge mess. Probably Spring wasn’t best time to test

OP
dago52

dago52

LawnSite Senior Member
Yes, but you have to stand on the pedal half way. It does not lock into half open position.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Yes, but you have to stand on the pedal half way. It does not lock into half open position.
Thank you for responding. That will work for standers and z's but not for a walk behind. This specifically is the only thing that has kept me from getting a Grassflap for my Turf Tracers.

You will find that keeping the chute cracked the one of grass is no longer an issue as the deck picks it up on the next pass.

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
Partially open was worse. I had mine on Toros and a Gravely over 15 years ago, can’t recall name of flap but running it partially open just shot the grass clumps downward. Huge mess.

Can see it working in thin or moderately growing turf but here everything heavily irrigated, sprayed etc etc. Turf is thick and fast growing always.

Tried it on Leaves and just took longer than full kit to dust them up. Certain these things work somewhere but not here

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
Partially open was worse. I had mine on Toros and a Gravely over 15 years ago, can’t recall name of flap but running it partially open just shot the grass clumps downward. Huge mess.

Can see it working in thin or moderately growing turf but here everything heavily irrigated, sprayed etc etc. Turf is thick and fast growing always.

Tried it on Leaves and just took longer than full kit to dust them up. Certain these things work somewhere but not here
OK...we get it, it doesn't work for you. It works for plenty of others, including us.

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
Do they still make the motorized ones? Flaps I had cost fortune and used motors w/toggle switch that you could run like power windows to open to any point you wanted.

Mechanical seemed overkill