1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

grasshopper 124 a good mower?

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by kinneberg lawn service, Jul 2, 2012.

1. kinneberg lawn service

kinneberg lawn service LawnSite Member

I am looking at the purchase of a grasshopper 124 and am wondering if anyone has had one or knows of any problems they may have. I Currently use a John deere f525 with front mount deck, its getting old. I appreciate opinions and suggestions.
    thanks

2. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I like the 124, but if you are cutting alot, i would highly hlrecommend bumping up to the 226. It is an amazing mower for the price, in fact just delivered one today. The 0% for 50 months makes the upgrade very affordable...
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

The 124 has the commercial deck and transmission, i rate it better than a freedom z, gravely zt, and many others due to the transmission setup...
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

When I was winding down my mowing operations, I downsized a lot, and did not need my Walkers the last 2 years. I replaced them with a Grasshopper 124, which was a new model at the time. With the mulch kit, it did a great job on the residential properties I still had. My crew used it 2 years, and never had one single problem. I sold it to a homeowner in 2008, and he is still running it with no problems.

5. kinneberg lawn service

Thank you for you knowledge. I appreciate you experience with this type of mower

6. Jozlimbsandlawns

Jozlimbsandlawns LawnSite Member

Hello kinnederg .. old post I know , but did you end up getting the grasshopper 124 ? Any good ?? Cheers

7. kinneberg lawn service

I did purchase the 124 many years ago some time around 2012. The machine did well for me it had the bagger which has been great so far for leaves and de-thatching. One issue i have had with it is its lack of power, the briggs engines are not what they use to be. The one i purchased had a 27hp on it which has been replaced once since then. As far as hill sides it sucks slides around all time. For flat areas it does ok. I have up graded to a 223 since love that machine have way more hours on it than the 124 with less issues going close to 800 hours on it.

retrodog likes this.