• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Grasshopper 223

djfanintn

LawnSite Member
Can anyone tell me much about this machine. It's a 2005 model with only a couple hundred hours on it. It has the 23 hp, 2-cylinder, Kohler Command PRO engine.

would it be worth $5k???

Turf Dawg

LawnSite Gold Member
I sold my 04 model 223-52" deck with over a 1000 hrs on it in 08 for 3500. If it is in nice shape with that low of hours it should be between 4500-5000 to me.
I just would like to add that to me the 23 hp 52" was underpowered a lot of times with that style deck that really chops up the clippings.

groundskeeperllc

LawnSite Senior Member
Great machine!!! a little underpowered at times, price - depending on cosmetics, exact hours, and wether its commercial use or homeowner use, i would say in the $4000-$5000 range, does it have bagger? mulch kit?

OP
D

djfanintn

LawnSite Member
no bagger, no mulch kit either. has been stored inside and used by home owner only. it has less than 200 hours on it.

very few scratches on it. new belts just put on. will need some blades soon.

61" cut and 23 horsepower seems just a tad undersized perhaps.

Last edited:

groundskeeperllc

LawnSite Senior Member
yeah its probably worth the money, but way underpowered, the 27 kohler with the 61 is underpowered, thats what i have, i would be patient (grass season for you is still aways out) and keep a look out for more power

Jason Rose

LawnSite Fanatic
The 23hp is going to be well underpowered. I have a 227 61" and it's underpowered if you want to mow more than a few inches off, even just side discharging, but I'm talking about trying to move along at a good speed too.

For that price, I think if it was me, I'd walk. Grasshopper midmounts are really horsepower hogs... A different brand may work with that deck size and engine combo, but the grasshopper just struggles. Even the 27 hp / 61" combo.

I'm going to be selling my 227 61". 1,300 hours, catcher, and well maintained. Thinking $5,500. unfortunately you are a long ways away... and you may not need a catcher? (that alone would cost you $1,800 if you wanted to add it to that other one, and 23hp would NOT be enough to run it for sure)

N.TX

LawnSite Senior Member
The only reason it would be under powered is if you are cutting stuff that is over grown. Weekly or bi-weekly accounts there should be no problem with power for side discharge. I have 2 grasshoppers with the 23hp

Turf Dawg

LawnSite Gold Member
The only reason it would be under powered is if you are cutting stuff that is over grown. Weekly or bi-weekly accounts there should be no problem with power for side discharge. I have 2 grasshoppers with the 23hp
I have to respectfully disagree with this. The 322D with a 61" is not too bad, but the 223/52" I had was a dog in the early spring when clover and sticky weeds were present and also on dewy mornings. On good grass with low moisture they have a great cut, one of the best, but a lot of times the ideal conditions did not exist.