Grasshopper 325d review

EvenGrow

LawnSite Member
Recently had a ferris 3200z but had major cutting issues and ferris decided to buy my mower back. Just picked up a new grasshopper 325d 61'' with the grammar suspension seat yesterday from the dealer. I plan on doing an ongoing review of it. So here are my first impressions of the mower after putting about 6 hours on it.

Build Quality: This mower is very well built. Everything on the mower screams quality the second you sit in the seat. Just has a very nice feel and at the same time doesn't feel too heavy. As of right now I'm very impressed but will look forward as to how the mower holds up over the next few years.

Cut Quality: Okay, I have used a few of the top brands in the industry including Scag, Toro, Exmark, Ferris, and Grasshopper. I believe this mower leaves the most manicured cut of all of the mowers mentioned above. The cut is very crisp and clean. Stripes very well. Discharge is very good when grass is dry. When wet, I have had some clumping but nothing major. Not near as much clumping as the exmark and toro I've been on. I'd say it is just in the middle between the exmark and the scag (scag being the best in wet). Overall very happy with the Duramax 61" deck so far. I also did remove a bolted in front baffle that closes the deck off much like an exmark. I will post pics of what I'm talking about later tonight.

Handling/Steering: This mower by far has the smoothest steering out of every mower I have ever been on. I have been told hustler is also very smooth but I haven't ever been on one so can't really speak on that. All I know is that the steering of this mower is silky smooth and very pleasurable to operate. Helps with turning on hills and in tight areas a lot.

Engine/Power: I know the diesel isn't broken in yet but so far has plenty of power and torque for my needs. I mostly mow weekly cuts so no need for crazy power but it is nice to have in the spring when the grass is really growing fast. So far it is very fuel efficient. In the 6 hours I have put on it, the mower has only used just over a quarter of a tank. That is a little more than half of what the 37 efi vanguard on my ferris was getting and this thing isn't even broken in yet. I can't wait to see the difference in power and fuel efficiency when the engine gets broken in.

I will update more as I get more time on the mower but just wanted to give a first impression of it. So far I am very pleased with my decision. I will post a few pics later tonight. Happy mowing everyone!

OP
E

EvenGrow

LawnSite Member
Completely forgot to mention one category.
Comfort: Coming from a ferris, I believe with the grammar suspension seat, this mower is not very far off from the comfort of the ferris. Definitely the most comfortable fixed frame machine I've ever been on. I am very pleased with this part of the mower because not only is this mower much more of a pleasure to use than the ferris, but it is pretty darn close as far as comfort goes.

Mownmachine144

LawnSite Bronze Member
Recently had a ferris 3200z but had major cutting issues and ferris decided to buy my mower back. Just picked up a new grasshopper 325d 61'' with the grammar suspension seat yesterday from the dealer. I plan on doing an ongoing review of it. So here are my first impressions of the mower after putting about 6 hours on it.

Build Quality: This mower is very well built. Everything on the mower screams quality the second you sit in the seat. Just has a very nice feel and at the same time doesn't feel too heavy. As of right now I'm very impressed but will look forward as to how the mower holds up over the next few years.

Cut Quality: Okay, I have used a few of the top brands in the industry including Scag, Toro, Exmark, Ferris, and Grasshopper. I believe this mower leaves the most manicured cut of all of the mowers mentioned above. The cut is very crisp and clean. Stripes very well. Discharge is very good when grass is dry. When wet, I have had some clumping but nothing major. Not near as much clumping as the exmark and toro I've been on. I'd say it is just in the middle between the exmark and the scag (scag being the best in wet). Overall very happy with the Duramax 61" deck so far. I also did remove a bolted in front baffle that closes the deck off much like an exmark. I will post pics of what I'm talking about later tonight.

Handling/Steering: This mower by far has the smoothest steering out of every mower I have ever been on. I have been told hustler is also very smooth but I haven't ever been on one so can't really speak on that. All I know is that the steering of this mower is silky smooth and very pleasurable to operate. Helps with turning on hills and in tight areas a lot.

Engine/Power: I know the diesel isn't broken in yet but so far has plenty of power and torque for my needs. I mostly mow weekly cuts so no need for crazy power but it is nice to have in the spring when the grass is really growing fast. So far it is very fuel efficient. In the 6 hours I have put on it, the mower has only used just over a quarter of a tank. That is a little more than half of what the 37 efi vanguard on my ferris was getting and this thing isn't even broken in yet. I can't wait to see the difference in power and fuel efficiency when the engine gets broken in.

I will update more as I get more time on the mower but just wanted to give a first impression of it. So far I am very pleased with my decision. I will post a few pics later tonight. Happy mowing everyone!
I have a grasshopper dealer 5 minutes away from me but my relationship with that dealer is not good. Really don't like going to them anymore just not very helpful and overall just not pleased with them.

Mownmachine144

LawnSite Bronze Member
What hp engine do you have?
I am familiar with the Diesel engines to. Last year I ran a old kubota g1900 with the D775 I think. With 18hp Diesel. It was great in the really tall thick wet grass. Just plowed right through it. I did have to go over it again but after that the cut was clean.

OP
E

EvenGrow

LawnSite Member
I am familiar with the Diesel engines to. Last year I ran a old kubota g1900 with the D775 I think. With 18hp Diesel. It was great in the really tall thick wet grass. Just plowed right through it. I did have to go over it again but after that the cut was clean.
Its the 25hp Kubota. So far its got a lot of torque but really waiting to see what happens when it breaks in. Machine cuts very very well and absolutely sips fuel

OP
E

EvenGrow

LawnSite Member
Couldn't get any pics tonight as it was raining right as I finished up for the day. Will post some tomorrow. Already started on some of my Friday list. Mower is saving me a lot of time since I haven't even double cut a yard yet with it. Really pleased so far.

Mowing monkey.

LawnSite Bronze Member
I’ve got a 28 HP diesel on a 72” deck and it has plenty of power. My machine is a 428D and I’ve been happy with it. Mine has 2300 hours and still going strong.

Top Forums