Grasshopper 325d review

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic
The only difference seen by a diesel engine versus a gas engine on a mower is the burning of less fuel and longevity
You’re statement isn’t true by any means. The maintenance on my diesels has been less expensive than my gassers. Even oil changes are less expensive. I wish people who have no clue about a subject would stop commenting on things they know nothing about. The diesels last longer, burn less than half the fuel, have twice the resale value, and are easier and cheaper to maintain. Just How many diesels have you owned and operated? They way you talk so surely about your assumptions of them seems bold and arrogant to say the least. Hopefully you e owned several to justify your claims. Otherwise you’re claims are laughable.

"The maintenance on my diesels has been less expensive than my gassers."

My statement was, "The only difference seen by a diesel engine versus a gas engine on a mower is the burning of less fuel and longevity." Now, you explain how it is less costly to monitor and maintain a diesel engine versus an air-cooled gas engine, I am only looking to hear your thoughts. Talk about the differences in oil changes; such as the amount of oil used and number of hours between changes. What maintenance must be performed to insure your liquid cooling system is maintained, and how often you must clean your prescreen and radiator.

You made the statement, "The diesels last longer, burn less than half the fuel, have twice the resale value, and are easier and cheaper to maintain. You and I have already as seen agreed on half of the things you claim, I am now only waiting to read your thoughts on where the difference is much less in maintaining a diesel powered mower versus a gas powered mower.

Furthermore, you have already spoken of better resale value of a diesel powered mower, is there any chance this increased resale value was generated by the initial cost being much higher when purchasing a diesel powered mower. When paying a much higher price to purchase a dieseled powered mower new, is the increased resale value higher than the original purchase price, if not, then the diesel does not equate to a higher resale value.

I am only wishing to hear your thoughts, nothing more, and yes, I've owned probably 30 times the number of diesel engines in my life than you've owned or operated, and I am not talking about small diesels used on mowers. I've been a farmer for over 50 years with virtually no gas engines being utilized. I still have one small 38 hp JD gas burner for small tasks that is used very little.

ericwilson

LawnSite Member
Ive owned diesel grasshoppers for 12 years maintenance is minimal and simpler than a gas engine. Sips fuel 2004 322D (sold at 2,500 hrs), 2015 325D 2017 325D (sold at 1400 hrs) and a 2021 725D all had bar treads, interesting reading on low pressure bar tires vs high pressure turf tires....

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic
Ive owned diesel grasshoppers for 12 years maintenance is minimal and simpler than a gas engine. Sips fuel 2004 322D (sold at 2,500 hrs), 2015 325D 2017 325D (sold at 1400 hrs) and a 2021 725D all had bar treads, interesting reading on low pressure bar tires vs high pressure turf tires....

Please explain how maintenance for a diesel engine is simpler and less costly than for an air-cooled mower engine? I am truly interested in your thoughts and experience concerning this matter.

Diesel Dude

LawnSite Senior Member
The only difference seen by a diesel engine versus a gas engine on a mower is the burning of less fuel and longevity

"The maintenance on my diesels has been less expensive than my gassers."

My statement was, "The only difference seen by a diesel engine versus a gas engine on a mower is the burning of less fuel and longevity." Now, you explain how it is less costly to monitor and maintain a diesel engine versus an air-cooled gas engine, I am only looking to hear your thoughts. Talk about the differences in oil changes; such as the amount of oil used and number of hours between changes. What maintenance must be performed to insure your liquid cooling system is maintained, and how often you must clean your prescreen and radiator.

You made the statement, "The diesels last longer, burn less than half the fuel, have twice the resale value, and are easier and cheaper to maintain. You and I have already as seen agreed on half of the things you claim, I am now only waiting to read your thoughts on where the difference is much less in maintaining a diesel powered mower versus a gas powered mower.

Furthermore, you have already spoken of better resale value of a diesel powered mower, is there any chance this increased resale value was generated by the initial cost being much higher when purchasing a diesel powered mower. When paying a much higher price to purchase a dieseled powered mower new, is the increased resale value higher than the original purchase price, if not, then the diesel does not equate to a higher resale value.

I am only wishing to hear your thoughts, nothing more, and yes, I've owned probably 30 times the number of diesel engines in my life than you've owned or operated, and I am not talking about small diesels used on mowers. I've been a farmer for over 50 years with virtually no gas engines being utilized. I still have one small 38 hp JD gas burner for small tasks that is used very little.
I could care less about how many diesels you’ve owned or how long you e been in business. I didn’t ask for your resume. I wanted to know how many diesel zero turn mowers you’ve owned. That’s the only reason for my statement. Someone can’t give and honest opinion if they haven’t had the units to truly compare them and draw their own conclusions.
You’re original statement compared gas vs diesel. Then your next sentence was comparing liquid cooled diesel vs air cooled gas and directly pointing out the cooling systems maintain. So you have multiple things being compared just in those two sentences. Not just gas vs diesel. So this leaves me questioning what’s being compared here, the engine or the way it’s cooled. Now you can only get a diesel mower in liquid cooled, however you can get both cooling systems in a gas. So if we are comparing apples to apples to contrast just the internal combustion differences( gas vs diesel) then I see it only fair to compare liquid cooled vs liquid cooled for both gas and diesel. Either way I still believe diesel from a long term perspective is more reliable, more efficient, and more economical from a cost standpoint than gas. You mentioned oil changes, ok I can honestly tell you it’s cheaper for me to change oil in my diesels than my air cooled gas mowers. Now it’s not the case if it was liquid cooled gas. My diesels oil filter costs 8 dollars and I run 4 quarts15w40. That oil is about 3.10 a quart.
my turf tiger or exmark is air cooled so if your doing things right you should be running a high zinc oil in the air cooled motors. That oil is around 7-8 dollars a quart. It’s usually 2 quarts capacity on these engines. The filters are 14 dollars depending on kholer or Kawasaki. So each oil change in the air cooled units are higher than the diesels, plus as you know the diesels can go much longer in between oil changes. As far as blowing out the cooling systems, it doesn’t matter if it’s liquid cooled or air cooled, you should be blowing them out regardless. Ive had a air cooled gas over heat and blow a head gasket cause it wasn’t blown out. People argue air cooled is easier maint cause you don’t have to blow them out, no that’s not easier maint, it’s called poor maint. You need to blow them out regardless of which cooling system they have. Most gassers are now going efi, so that’s another variable to potentially increase cost of gasser maint. Plugs, wires, injectors. Gassers also have more ignition system components to regularly maintain. So in my experience, yes the diesels have been less to maintenance than the gassers. When you get to 1500 or 2000 hours and have to put 2000 dollar crate motors on these gassers, it gets expensive. I’ve yet to need to replace a diesel at 2000 hours. Yes the resale value of diesels is higher and yes the initial cost is higher, but what I was referring to on resale is the demand. The demand or ease to sell a used diesel with 2000 plus hours is much easier than a 2000 hour gasser that everyone knows it wore out at that point. I have both air cooled gas, and liquid cooled diesel and I can tell you from my personal experience, the diesels have been cheaper to own and maint. Than the air cooled gassers. Now I also have kubota liquid cooled gas and I absolutely love those units. So to me personally going diesel makes since, in fact it makes more since than opting for the hyperdrive system for longevity or resale. That’s just my opinion and I hope this clarifies some questions you had.

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic
I could care less about how many diesels you’ve owned or how long you e been in business. I didn’t ask for your resume. I wanted to know how many diesel zero turn mowers you’ve owned. That’s the only reason for my statement. Someone can’t give and honest opinion if they haven’t had the units to truly compare them and draw their own conclusions.
You’re original statement compared gas vs diesel. Then your next sentence was comparing liquid cooled diesel vs air cooled gas and directly pointing out the cooling systems maintain. So you have multiple things being compared just in those two sentences. Not just gas vs diesel. So this leaves me questioning what’s being compared here, the engine or the way it’s cooled. Now you can only get a diesel mower in liquid cooled, however you can get both cooling systems in a gas. So if we are comparing apples to apples to contrast just the internal combustion differences( gas vs diesel) then I see it only fair to compare liquid cooled vs liquid cooled for both gas and diesel. Either way I still believe diesel from a long term perspective is more reliable, more efficient, and more economical from a cost standpoint than gas. You mentioned oil changes, ok I can honestly tell you it’s cheaper for me to change oil in my diesels than my air cooled gas mowers. Now it’s not the case if it was liquid cooled gas. My diesels oil filter costs 8 dollars and I run 4 quarts15w40. That oil is about 3.10 a quart.
my turf tiger or exmark is air cooled so if your doing things right you should be running a high zinc oil in the air cooled motors. That oil is around 7-8 dollars a quart. It’s usually 2 quarts capacity on these engines. The filters are 14 dollars depending on kholer or Kawasaki. So each oil change in the air cooled units are higher than the diesels, plus as you know the diesels can go much longer in between oil changes. As far as blowing out the cooling systems, it doesn’t matter if it’s liquid cooled or air cooled, you should be blowing them out regardless. Ive had a air cooled gas over heat and blow a head gasket cause it wasn’t blown out. People argue air cooled is easier maint cause you don’t have to blow them out, no that’s not easier maint, it’s called poor maint. You need to blow them out regardless of which cooling system they have. Most gassers are now going efi, so that’s another variable to potentially increase cost of gasser maint. Plugs, wires, injectors. Gassers also have more ignition system components to regularly maintain. So in my experience, yes the diesels have been less to maintenance than the gassers. When you get to 1500 or 2000 hours and have to put 2000 dollar crate motors on these gassers, it gets expensive. I’ve yet to need to replace a diesel at 2000 hours. Yes the resale value of diesels is higher and yes the initial cost is higher, but what I was referring to on resale is the demand. The demand or ease to sell a used diesel with 2000 plus hours is much easier than a 2000 hour gasser that everyone knows it wore out at that point. I have both air cooled gas, and liquid cooled diesel and I can tell you from my personal experience, the diesels have been cheaper to own and maint. Than the air cooled gassers. Now I also have kubota liquid cooled gas and I absolutely love those units. So to me personally going diesel makes since, in fact it makes more since than opting for the hyperdrive system for longevity or resale. That’s just my opinion and I hope this clarifies some questions you had.

Diesel, liquid cooled or air cooled gas engines used for powering mowers is merely a matter of preference, but thanks for your clarification on the subject, glad you were willing to share your experience and knowledge.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
Diesel Dude and Puppypaws,

Enjoyed reading civilized debate and at the end both parties stand their ground and part company with respect for each other..

No body wins an argument, but we all learn from civil discussions.

Mowing monkey.

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have a diesel grasshopper and ignoring purchase price difference the operating cost is far less. For starters the diesel last about forever. The lower cost air cooled gas burners last 1000 hours or so. My kubota powered grasshopper currently has 2500 hours and still going strong. The fuel burn is way less. Mine is burning 1/2 gallon per hour or so with a 72 deck. A gasser is going to burn 1.5 gallons per hour to do the same work. I’m burning off road diesel in the mower and road taxed gas if I had a gas mower which brings the fuel cost close to the same. Yea I know you can apply for a credit but I’m not going to. Keeping up with equipment gas receipts vs vehicle receipts and then paying my accountant to file it just isn’t worth the effort. The oil change might be slightly more but you’re talking enough money to buy lunch difference. Mine holds 5-6 quarts. It’s not like dumping 5 gallons in a diesel truck. I can’t say for sure but I’m betting the diesel has longer oil run intervals. As far as changing the radiator coolant who even cares about that? What’s it recommend like every 5 years at a cost of $10-20?

ericwilson

LawnSite Member
Please explain how maintenance for a diesel engine is simpler and less costly than for an air-cooled mower engine? I am truly interested in your thoughts and experience concerning this matter.
No spark plugs, no coil, no distributor. Easy spin off fuel filter, oil changes oil comes out the bottom instead of the side were it gets over everything, and its smoother and quieter

Top Forums