Grasshopper 526v52

SharkBait01100

LawnSite Member
So, this thing is like a ghost on the internet. There's VERY few for sale near my location. I love the idea of this platform, but I'm definitely looking for some more feedback information.

Things to know:
  • I'll be maintaining on avg. 4 properties averaging no less than 3 acres; one of which has many slopes/contours and embankments (this one more than the others).
  • I can't necessarily justify spending $10k plus on a mower given where I am financially (I've found a few of these units with less than 10hours with full warranty for <$8k).
Things I think I know about mower:
  • I'll take vanguard over just about anything (which it has [26hp model])
  • I've heard nothing but good things about the duramax deck
  • This one (I believe) does NOT run the PTO gearbox like the rest of the front mounts
    • How much of a detriment is that?
    • These can run the leaf management system g.hopper sells even w/out it.
  • I LOVE that this has a full floating deck and contours very well with slopes, etc.
What I'd like to know:
  • Has anyone on here had personal run-time on this?
  • Given my properties above is there any MAJOR CON in time or operation with using a front vs. midmount? 60 VS. 52?
  • Is there anything NOT on these that are on the other frontmounts that is potentially make/break?
Thank you so much.

Mowingman

LawnSite Fanatic
That is a newer model, and I don't know much about them. I was a dealer, but that was 12 years ago since I retired from that. I would call the factory and talk to someone there to get all your questions answered. Those folks at the factory are really helpful. If you are not too far away, you could probably even get a factory tour and look at one in person.

OP
SharkBait01100

SharkBait01100

LawnSite Member
Thank you for the advice.

Anyone else might have any first hand experience with this implement? Or any advice regarding front vs midmount? 52 vs 60(1)?

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member
I personally think the 500 series is kind of a useless machine. It's large in dimension for the deck widths available, and doesn't have the implement options the front mount design is known for. It doesn't have the Duramax deck either.

A 226v would be a better machine with more implement options than the 500V. The 226V has much better 4400 drives than the 500 series HT system, is a more compact design, has fewer moving parts, and comes in at a lower price point. The down side is the 200v series has alot of overhang in the back which could hinder going through small ditches, and you're still not getting the Duramax deck.

If you're gonna go front mount, the 600, 700, and 900 series is the way to go. You get the full selection of implements to choose from, commercial drives, Duramax deck, and a much more comfortable machine.

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member
Wow, the ones I seen didn't have that deck. Still doesn't make it a desirable unit with the fact you only have the option of an easy edge and collection attachment.

Here my local dealer has a 328 with 61" deck for less money.

And other units are still with more affordable with attachment options

kinneberg lawn service

LawnSite Senior Member
I use mid mounts most of the time usually faster definately not as long. Front mounts are great for under trees and wonderful in a cemetery believe it or not. They suck on hills, spin out, and sometimes your better off backing up them. My guess the model you are considering is belt driven vs.pto system I would think it would work decent. Had a f525 deere once belt driven front mount no. Issues. If your planning on using bagger system the hard tops are nice for mid mounts. Like wise dump from seat on front mounts nice and hold more I believe. The decks on all are great. Just stay away from.the 100 series unless your mowing flat areas, the small tires just done work. Dont be affraid to find used units. The 227 and 223 are excellent. Best of luck.

OP
SharkBait01100

SharkBait01100

LawnSite Member
Thank you for the continued input. I'm really torn on front vs. mid honestly. One of these properties has grapevines and a front mount would do incredible with that

I've been on a front mount for all of 20 minutes (7-series diesel) and I fell in love, but I've not been on one long enough to know whether in the long run it will be all the more advantageous over a mid mount or not.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Thank you for the continued input. I'm really torn on front vs. mid honestly. One of these properties has grapevines and a front mount would do incredible with that

I've been on a front mount for all of 20 minutes (7-series diesel) and I fell in love, but I've not been on one long enough to know whether in the long run it will be all the more advantageous over a mid mount or not.
The only real draw back to that model is that it’s belt drive and you won’t get a lot of the other implements
But if you’re just going to mow/collect
That’s a non issue

plus with the smaller frame, probably don’t want to run many attachments anyway

52 is handy and floats well but it doesn’t have a lot of over hang /side trim on that model

not a huge issue but not as good as a 61

I would definitely get a front mount
But like others have mentioned
The 226v is a lot of value for that machine

heck I’d even get a 120 for the mowing your interested in

great little machine for tight landscapes and one of the few real riders left that still makes a deck under 48”

OP
SharkBait01100

SharkBait01100

LawnSite Member
The only real draw back to that model is that it’s belt drive and you won’t get a lot of the other implements
But if you’re just going to mow/collect
That’s a non issue

plus with the smaller frame, probably don’t want to run many attachments anyway

52 is handy and floats well but it doesn’t have a lot of over hang /side trim on that model

not a huge issue but not as good as a 61

I would definitely get a front mount
But like others have mentioned
The 226v is a lot of value for that machine

heck I’d even get a 120 for the mowing your interested in

great little machine for tight landscapes and one of the few real riders left that still makes a deck under 48”
I definitely don't know if I could justify going smaller than a 52. While there are some tight spaces to get it, the majority of the acreage on these properties are more open.

I definitely like the idea of a front mount especially visually (during operation), again just not a lot of experience on one to know whether or not it's more advantageous than the mid-mounts. I know a 61 on these properties will help me clear the acreage, but I would have a little bit more to do trimming, etc. And if you're thinking why not the 6-series front mount; I would MUCH rather have the additional three horses and the vanguard power plant vs. the kohler (I like kohler, but to me IMO, Vanguard is unarguably better).

Also, if I truly decided front mount, I just wanted to make sure that the 526v would be a decent contender and wasn't missing anything vital that the others had (like the PTO gearbox vs. belt drive).

Top Forums