1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Grasshopper 718 Briggs 18HP suddenly stopped running

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Grasshopper718, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Grasshopper718

Grasshopper718 LawnSite Member

Hopefully this is an easy fix! I was coming to the end of a row on a Grasshopper 718 with a Briggs 18hp, when it suddenly stopped running. I've checked the seat switch and it checks out with my VOM. When i tried to restart it, it turns over very hard almost like a dead battery. I've tested the battery and it reads about 9.6Volts(LOW). I've put a booster charger on it and it still turns over hard (barely one revolution), like something is binding. I pulled the plugs out and it turns over, but still harder than i think it should. Can a generator go bad that fast and is that a possibility. Or any other ideas.
    Thanks....

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you read the third thread down from the top and post your engine numbers you may get a better response.

3. one-jene

one-jene LawnSite Member

A couple of things to check are the battery connections and the fuses. I have seen corrosion on the main and start fuses that gave low voltage and the starter would not turn over the engine.