Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Currently I have a 227 Grasshopper. The 27 hp. Kohler is just underpowered for the 61" deck with running the blower for the catcher. Heck, it's often struggling even without the blower on the deck. I'm thinking now that the sooner I trade it in for a different model, the better. I have almost 700 hours on it now and it's about 14 months old. Once it gets over 1,000 I know the trade-in value will decline by a lot.

What I'm trying to decide on is what engine option to go with, and I'd really like if some people that have used, or know people that use them, to chime in and give me some direction. G-Hoppers website dosn't list the techinacal specs for their engines. A list of the models I'm considering:

322D- 22hp. 3 cyl. Diesel

329- 29hp. 3 cyl. kubota

329B- Briggs Big Block

335B- Briggs Big Block

Now, what's the TORQUE specs for the 22hp Kubota diesel versus the 29 hp Kubota gas? Are they about the same or is the Diesel less powerful? They don't offer any higher hp. diesel models unless you step up to the 430D, and that's a LOT more than I need.

I Like the Diesel option, if it will have the power, for the fuel economy. The 2 Briggs big block machines I'm unsure of. The 29 hp. may be an option, but I'm a little worried about the fuel useage on it, and especially the 35 hp. Also I don't know squat about the Briggs engines other than some positive comments I've read on here.

The 3cyl engines, gas or diesel I'm a little worried about the extra weight in the rear. With my 227 I do NOT have to use the weight kit for the 3 bag catcher, and I prefer to keep it that way. With it on there it makes the machine VERY hard to maneuver. Will the extra weight and length of the heavier engines require the weight kit no matter what?

Please advise! Thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Jason,
The GH 322D uses the Kubota Super Mini 3200rpm D902 engine. I believe the 329D uses the Kubota WG972 gas engine. I attached links to a couple Kubota engine PDFs. Lots of good info on these pdfs, but be sure to use the 3200 charts and not the 3600 for the D902.
I have the 722D. I love the engine for my use but I would have to slow down if I had a collection system on it. Good luck.
http://www.css-club.net/kubota_catalog/pdf/wg_df752-972.pdf
http://www.css-club.net/kubota_catalog/pdf/supermini.pdf

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ford850: Thanks for the reply and the point in the right direction.

I can see now that, according to the numbers, it appears that the 22hp diesel isn't any more powerful torque-wise than my current 27hp Kohler. I'm sure it uses half or less the amount of fuel though... The Kubota gas engine though has a lot more torque and runs at the 3600 RPM I'm used too. (roughly 60 ft. lbs. @ 3600 RPM)

Then again, I may be reading the charts all wrong... The diesel charts on the Kubota PDF's don't list all the same info that the gas engine has. And Kohler's site only gives a "Max" torque number, which isn't really a true to life number to compare too.

I'd love to get some feedback from owners of either the diesel OR the gas Kubotas.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did hear that they were going to offer a 25 diesel this year instead of the 22
That would be awesome. Their website seems to run about a year behind what the actually are building/selling. I noticed that the briggs big block models just finally appeard on their site this summer, they were available LAST summer/fall.

Our state fair is here, started today. Grasshopper always has a large tent and several factory reps to talk too. I plan on going there for sure. It's impossible to get real information from the dealers.

Oh, and why am I sitting at my computer instead of out working? It started raining this morning about 8:00 and has been doing so ever since! :cry:

·
Registered
7 Posts
First let me say I am not an LCO. I own and keep up 10 acres. I have the 329 with a 61 deck and the bagger system. I bought the mower as a demo and have about 35hrs of my time on it. With the collection system on I use about 1.3 gal/hr. Without it about 1.2.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I run a 08 722D almost 300 hrs on it now. I haven't had a single problem with it being underpowered. I have done everything with it from really tall grass, steep hills, collection system, and I have never heard it bog down. It is also incredibly fuel efficient. If I bought again I wouldn't get anything else. I have also used most of the other grasshopper engines and they don't compare.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I did hear that they were going to offer a 25 diesel this year instead of the 22
That is correct.

Just buy a 430D/930D and be done. The price between the 729 and 932 is VERY small. Same with the 722(725) and 930D. Go big or go home!

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got home from the fair, had a lot of fried food and saw a LOT of hotties... Also got to talk to the Grasshopper reps. They had a brand new 325D there, they said they just started production on them this past week, so it's new to say the least.

Going to Demo the 325D hopefully, though I can probably get the 335B this coming week if I want to try it. Still not sure I want to stay with a air cooled engine with that kind of power (gas HOG). But it IS shorter by 3 to 4 inches and is 200+ pounds lighter than the Kubota models.

The 400 series is bigger still, another 3.5 inches longer than the 325D and 100 pounds heavier... I have no idea what all is different on the 400 series over the 300, somethings bigger or built heavier I guess. I have to put this on residential lawns, and often in tight areas. The 227 is already pushing it size wise...

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, on another note, some REAR DISCHARGE fans may be interested, they just started producing a rear discharge decks too. They are pretty sweet looking and have a very original way they discharge using a 4th blade at the center rear of the deck to help disperse the clippings more evenly out the back. (I see most RD decks tend to leave a trail of grass 2 to 3 feet wide, this one is made to address that problem.)

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have any specs for the new models? I'm interested to know the top speed especially. Do they have any other new products coming out?
Don't really have anything on the 325D, though it's the same as the 322D, just more power. And the rear discharge models, I think will come in 61 and 72? Didn't really inquire a lot, not sure the power choices with the RD, maybe it's whatever you want...

I think all the 300 series speeds are listed on their website, 11mph I think. Not sure if that's the factory set speed or if you can adjust a bit more out of it. I know my 227 had a noticable bit more speed available in the handle adjustments between what it was set for at the factory and when I adjusted it so it was at the max.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
So far I believe the 61" is the only RD. It has a tunnel built underneath to keep grass out of everything. The only downside is the rear tires really kick up the grass. 400 series is a bigger frame and heavier. The L/C and diesel 300's ride SOOO much better due to their weight over a 227/335B. Did you see the new front fork suspension? Pretty neat, it doesn't dip the deck like the flexforks, Ferris' suspension and the like.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Did you see the new front fork suspension? Pretty neat, it doesn't dip the deck like the flexforks, Ferris' suspension and the like.
Why don't they have this on the website yet? What is it like? Bad Boy has the rubber bushings and Dixie Chopper has springs on the forks--is it kind of like that? Oh, not to start an argument, but just a slight correction--the Ferris suspension does not dip the deck when it flexes because the deck is linked to the suspension. Here's a video demonstation: http://ferrisindustries.com/pages/page.php?pageid=3

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've seen the flex forks, or whatever term they use for them too. Was told it's just something they made to "keep up with the Jonses" basically. It's bushings I believe, no springs. The suspension forks aren't too much larger (wider) than the std. forks, which is nice.

I would probably not get them, I feel that the ride on even the 227 machine is perfectly fine. I came from running Dixons, the old 5023 models with SMALL wheels and tires all the way around and no suspension, not even springs under the seat! You want rough, do that for 6 or 7 thousand hours... The Grasshopper is a DREAM compared to that! I did get the suspesion seat on mine, which I like, but I noted they also offer a new susp. seat, looks like a michigan seat maybe... More money, and it's fricking black vinal, barf. (black vinal + 90+++ degree heat in the sun = burnt backside and soaking wet from sweat)

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
The forks break back with no dipping of the deck. And yes, the ferris' suspension dips the deck, at least mine did. You could see it all across the lawn, all scalloped.

They are going to be coming out with a totally new seat, I'm not sure I'm supposed to say anything about it, so I won't. But, you will be amazed. Think a big rig..................

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
:clapping:...can't/prolly not supposed to say

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.