Grasshopper front decks

WGB

LawnSite Member
I'm currently running a Ferris SRSz2 with a 61" deck - great mower, fast , tough and cuts pretty decent. I've added a Grassflap and turf tires so it's quite the mountain goat. My problem is I have steadily gained larger accounts, from 1 up to 4 or 5 ac.
I prefer these larger properties but truthfully a seat would be really nice at my age (58)
Sooo, we have a newer GH dealer and they have a leftover 727K with a 61 powerfold and folding ROPS for $12,799 I think. I do like the Kohler FI engine, had one on a Husqvarna. I really like the front deck mowers, have run Procuts and a JD 6## in the past.

The questions are

1: is the Kohler enough engine? I may run a power broom, an aero vator or a collection system in the future but not essential.

2: What do you think is a fair allowance for the Z2- 2017 model fx801 / 61" with 325 hrs, very well maintained and clean, I will pay the difference in cash. Is the Ferris worth 7k?
I don't mind them making money but not on both ends.

Side note- I REALLY like the 'Bota diesel but I would have to find used to make that happen.

What's your peoples thoughts?

Thanks, Walt

Mowingman

LawnSite Fanatic
Grasshopper is a well built machine that will last many years with proper maintenance. I have owned many of them and they were great machines. In fact, I liked my Grasshoppers so much, I sold my lawn business and opened a Grasshopper store. I can really only answer you first question. Yes, the 27HP is plenty for that machine. I ran numerous 61" Grasshoppers with 23HP and 25 HP, and never had problems. The 27 should give you the extra HP you need if you decide to run a grass collector.
Grasshopper is a well engineered machine and if you ever get a chance to see the factory you will be super impressed. The factory looks like a small version of a Caterpillar or John Deere factory. These are impressive machines and offer a very comfortable ride also.

OP
W

WGB

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the response. I know they last well and are rugged and a comfortable ride is a must.

Can you tell me how to identify the year of a machine? There is a 425D for sale locally 2500 hrs,I think it's the 21 hp Kubota he's asking $4500 BUT -doesn't know the year( took it in trade) also, it starts but the fuel shut off solenoid closes when the key is released, will run if you hold it open. The unit is VERY clean, but my big concern are the drives.
What should I look for on this machine, and is the price fair? I know it will need some luv but I don't need another project.

I can tell you it has a manual lift 61" sloped nose deck (Duramax Maybe) and the wide 2 wheel (1 per side) rear.

Thanks, Walt

Mowingman

LawnSite Fanatic
First off, my gut feeling is that the 21HP diesel is BARELY enough engine for the 61" deck. I would not want to run a grass catcher with it. You can hear the engine load hard when cutting thick grass with the 21" deck. I have been retired from store ownership for a number of years, and I can not remember how the SN works for indicating the year model. You need to call the factory with the SN, and they can tell you what year it was built. They are very helpful up there at the factory. I think the 425D would have the 25HP Kubota diesel though, so you might want to check on that. If it does, I would not be concerned about the power to run a grass catcher with the 61" deck. I don't think he is really off on pricing, but it would be nice if you could get them to fix the solenoid for that price. I don't think that is a cheap fix. Might set you back a couple of hundred in today's money. Good luck.

Mowing monkey.

LawnSite Bronze Member
If the budget is upwards of 10k I’d buy a slightly used diesel one. I’d also prefer a 72” deck for cutting large places.

OP
W

WGB

LawnSite Member
I am looking at the 725D / 61" used. have found a couple 2017 close enough with 500 - 600 hrs . They're asking 10,700. A 72 would be sweet but won't fit everywhere I need it to so 61 is my limit.