• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

grasshopper or exmark

jmf1969

LawnSite Member
just getting back in mowing after 6 years out. looking at grasshopper 227-60 and exmark lazer z 60 with 29hp kawasaki. used to run grasshoppers and had good luck, but always heard exmark cut better. any suggestions or advice would be appreciated, thanks

exmark232

LawnSite Member
i have both and love them both but i perfer the exmark because it stripes better but the grass hopper moves way faster i have a 727t 61" grass hopper and i really like the attachments i can put on like my 6 foot snow thrower

groundskeeperllc

LawnSite Senior Member
I've driven both, they are both great machines, last spring I chose the hopper over the new lazer b/c of comfort and a smoother drive system, i did already have the 227/61 hopper from 06' so in 09' i bought a 329/61 with the Vanguard, the 27 kohler is a little underpowered, the 29hp Vanguard is a beast, almost 400 hrs this year and the engine rarely strains, I don't think you would go wrong either way, which mower has the better dealer? that should play a huge part in your purchase

DT Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
Both are good mowers, Exmark is more common. If you are considering running attachments in the future I would lean toward the hopper. You may want to find out what kind of dealer support you can get from each brand.

And yea, I've run a hopper 727K and 725K, they are pretty awesome, but the length kills you.

johnnyusa

LawnSite Senior Member
Ive had way too much clumping with the lazer z and turf tracers in the spring. I would go with a grasshopper everyone I know who owns one loves the cut and the ride I would definately demo them both and see what works for you. good luck