1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Grasshopper overheat

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Quality Lawn, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Quality Lawn

Quality Lawn LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me how to tell if the water pump has gone out on my mower. I have a Grasshopper 725D. I have flushed the radiator, changed the thermostat but it continues to overheat. I suppose it could now only be the water pump but before I spend the money on one and time to install it, I was wondering if there is some way to tell if it needs replacing. Thanks in advance.

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Make sure the radiator cap is good. My car was over heating and it turned out to be a faulty cap. Air was being sucked into the system.

3. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's not losing coolant, the w. pump is probably good. How clean is the radiator? Dust, dirt, grease & oil on the fins can cause it to overheat. How many hrs?

4. Quality Lawn

Quality Lawn LawnSite Member

It has almost 1500 hours on it.

5. Jeremy1592

Jeremy1592 LawnSite Member

I have a 928D with the same overheating issue.

I purchased the grasshopper branded radiator water shooter thingy :hammerhead: and that has helped the issue a bit, although, it did not stop it.

I am considering trading this machine due to this issue. No other complaints, but when it is 105* May thru August, makes it tough.