1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Grasshoppers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clut0350, Jan 29, 2004.

1. clut0350

clut0350 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Small lawn care company (40-50) clients a week. We have always used Grasshopper ZTR's. Please give some pros and cons.
    How do they compare to Exmarks?

2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: clut, how do you like your grasshoppers, im thinking of buying a 428D this spring with a 60" deck. thanks tony

3. clut0350

clut0350 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I'm actually very pleased with them, but take into consideration that I have never used any other brand of ZTR's. I have really no way to compare them to anything else.

4. General Grounds

:blob3: clut, hows the cut, and reliablity

5. C & S

C & S LawnSite Member

I owned a Grasshopper in 2003. 725 52" with 25 horse Kohler. I had TONS of problems and I only racked up 100 hours. I traded it in on a Scag & I LOVE my new mower. No comparison.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have gone through 7 different brands of ZTR's over the last 10 years. Grasshopper is the best ZTR I have owned. I have had four total, and currently own 3 Grashopper midmount ZTR's. I had a 721D with over 3000hrs on it. Currently I have a 321D/61", 225/61", and a 428D/72". I mow some really tough, challenging properties with these mowers, and they perform great with no problems. I have been to the factory, and the quality control there is top notch.They have computers and robotics all over the plant. Can someone get a bad one? Sure, every manufacturer has a problem now and then. That is when your dealer should come to the rescue and get with the factory for warranty issues.
    I highly recommend the Grasshoppers. I may get one of their new flip-up deck, front mounts. They take up no more room on the trailer than a midmount, and the flip-up deck really makes blade changes easy.
    :D

7. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

We had a 725K/48" that we got rid of last year with over 2000 hours on it. We bought a new 321D/61" and we've been very pleased with it. We've had a few minor bugs to work out but we have a great dealer and got everything taken care of.

I'm sold on the diesel. The torque's amazing and they will far outlast a gas. They also sip fuel and you can run off-road diesel which is quite a bit cheaper than gas.

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I also have (2) Grasshopper 725's and I'm planning on buying another this spring. Besides just cutting grass, my mower has the 60" plow and the 48" snowthrower. Do a search on this forum using the word "Grasshopper" and you'll find lots of info.

9. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

How are the prices for the Grasshopper mowers compared to Exmark???

10. General Grounds

:blob3: i recieved a price of $10,700 for the grasshopper 428D with the 61" deck, and $13,300 for the exmark with the 61" deck. ill be purchasing a greasshopper in march. i demoed the kubota gas last fall and really liked it, im just gonna get the diesel. tony