• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

grassy weed id

mrkosar

LawnSite Senior Member
here is another i have seen in the past and could never figure out what grassy weed it is. darker green color, but broader leaf. it stands out in blue/rye/fescue lawns. always seems to stand a little taller too.

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

OP
M

mrkosar

LawnSite Senior Member
i don't know about the auricles, but it doesn't look like k31 at all. it doesn't really grow in clumps. kinda mixed in with the blue/rye/fescue, but stands out because it grows higher and has a darker green tint to it.

i thought quackgrass, but never know for sure that is why i like asking the vets on here.

rcreech

Sponsor
Is this a newly seeded lawn or area? I thought it looked like there was straw in the picture. If it is... my guess is that it is wheat from the straw. I had one of them this week and it took me a second to figure out!

OP
M

mrkosar

LawnSite Senior Member
no, the picture is taken on a property that i was estimating actually. the brown is part thatch, part dormant/underfertilized grass.