Grassy weed ID

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, May 17, 2019.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Patch of this in a nice blue/rye lawn. Seeding out now before the other grasses. Wiry hard seed stem. Plant turns purple-ish in the cooler fall months.

15581096935063614295550589069189.jpg

2. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

I may have the same thing growing in a midnight, bewitched, and award blend I seeded last fall. My first thought was that it was poa triv., but the ligules are like those of poa prat. I’m hoping it’s just award going to seed. That was the first time I’ve used award, but I also used it in a prg/kbg mix in another part of my lawn, so far, I don’t see it in the prg/kbg mix. In my experience kbg doesn’t usually seed much the first spring but this is trying to seed right away as if it were poa annua but it’s not annua either because of the ligules and the much longer than annua seed stalks, so I’m worried it’s something unwanted and I haven’t been able to identify it either.

Are you able to determine how it is spreading?

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    hort101 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Not certain did not have a lot of time to sleuth it. It does not seem to be bunchy like K31. Kind of dispersed so rhizomous but not as vigorous as quackgrass.
    I was gonna say poa annua too but doesn't quite fit.

4. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

KerbDMK and hort101 like this.
  5. KerbDMK

That's interesting but as DA said it's not bunchy like that and doesn't grow above the other grass. It also doesn't seem to shred.

It was very noticeable in the spring but it takes a sharp eye to notice it in the summer. It's a lighter green color and seems to always have at least one conspicuous yellow leaf sticking out to the side during the summer months. Maybe I'll see it turning purple in the fall as DA mentioned.

It's also a little courser than the Award, Midnight or Bewitched it is growing with.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  6. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

7. KerbDMK

Appreciate it, but Annua has been ruled out by both DA and myself.

8. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

Sorry it gave a couple options this is what else came up. Just like testing the accuracy of this ID thing 179DEE7D-903A-4FE6-BB92-4E576EB0B677.png 7A63EA86-8FC8-411D-97CD-48957BEE8377.png

KerbDMK likes this.
  9. KerbDMK

That's interesting a bunchgrass in the Poaceae family, a possibility but this doesn't appear to be a bunchgrass.

Here is some more information that I posted in another thread:

This stuff was a contaminant in my Award, Bewitched, and Midnight seed blend. The Award and Bewitched are gold tag sod quality. For a reason that escapes me at the moment, Midnight can no longer be given a sod quality rating. Most weed seeds that get by good poa seed sorting equipment are other types of poa, that's why annua and trivialis are such common KBG seed contaminants. This is a poa but I don't know which one and I'm just hoping I can kill it with a renovation next fall.

10. KerbDMK

This is what it looks like today:

20190903_154530 - Copy.jpg 20190903_154603 - Copy.jpg

Not much to look at just some slightly wider yellow blades.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019