Gravel drive recondition?

pavwa

LawnSite Member
I take care of a building that has a gravel service drive that wraps around it. They want me to recondition the drive without bringing in any new gravel as the drive it self is only 2 years old. I was thinking on using a John Deere 3000 series tractor pulling a blade or box scraper then rolling it with an asphalt roller to finish. Has anyone done this? What seems to work the best? Any info would be great as I have never reconditioned a gravel drive before. Thanks

OP
P

pavwa

LawnSite Member
Its pretty packed down, with some pot holes due to excessive traffic but like I said its only 2 years old so its not like the gravel would just disappear, right? All I want to do mainly is get it leveled out a little more and for the most part get the potholes filled in. I have been reading on this stuff and it seems like everyone has a different opinion on how to go about it. Some say start completely over, some say just fill the holes, some say re gravel the entire thing, and some say just break it up and smooth it out. Break it up and smooth it out seems like the most cost efficient method and it seems to be a good way to go about it. Or am I completely wrong? hope not since I already gave them a price and they oked it but they dont want it done until July. It is actually at a small private school and the drive is used as an exit for about 25 to 50 vehicles. I need some opinions please.Thanks

Birdhunter1

LawnSite Senior Member
Are you talking 1" deep potholes or 6" deep holes? If it were me (and I did this in my own drive approx 1900' long) I would lightly scarify the drive with a boxblade and spread and grade enough gravel (1" minus" and rent a ride on roller compactor to pack it down. I say 'lightly' as in not breaking up all the compacted gravel just enough for the new gravel to lock into the old. For what it's worth my driveway is holding up well, but I'm only seeing on average less than 10 trips across it with vehicles under 8000 lbs (tractors, mower, van, my truck) and about the heaviest being a combine 2 or 3 times and a tandem dump truck hauling in a load of whatever once a year maybe. The estimate of 25-50 vehicles you should plan on them making 2 trips, one to drop kids off another to pick them up.
Note: I'm not a pro I just happen to be really good friends with a concrete guy/excavator that advises me on how to make it hold up to heavy traffic.

zabmasonry

LawnSite Senior Member
Its pretty packed down, with some pot holes due to excessive traffic but like I said its only 2 years old so its not like the gravel would just disappear, right? All I want to do mainly is get it leveled out a little more and for the most part get the potholes filled in.
Potholes form because the road is level. It sounds like you need to build a crown to maintain the road. This means you need something more then just a simple box blade behind a tractor. You need to have some way to actuate pitch. In the past I've used a 3pt harley rake with great success.

TomG

LawnSite Senior Member
Use a skidsteer and a harley rake. First pass go really slow and take a deep cut in the gravel, this will loosen up the gravel and smooth it out. Second pass you can go fast and just skim the surface, kicking out and big rocks and giving it a final smooth over. Then you can backdrag it with your bucket or roll it. Thats what I do on our dirt driveway that leads to our shop. Works great, I do it 3-4 times a year.

OP
P

pavwa

LawnSite Member
Ok, I didnt know if a harley rake would do the job or not, that was my first option, so by the sound of it I may go with the rake instead of a box. Iam definitely going to roll it when its all leveled to. Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it. Oh and some of the pot holes are about 6" deep, 2 of them are deeper but that is right at the edge of where the concrete meets the gravel.

manatarms

LawnSite Member
I second the vote for a Harley Rake....skidsteer or tractor mounted. I have used several attachments over the years to maintain a 2800 ft. gravel drive and the harley rake beats them all both in time to get the job done and quality of the finished results.