1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Gravel Drive

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by rclawn, Dec 8, 2019.

1. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Did some grading work/ dug posts for a guy who bought a 30 acre property the other day. He was really happy with the price and productivity and has asked me to bid re- routing his gravel drive (around 325 feet long, 12’ wide).

He is just wanting the sod scraped, then 4” layer of 1” gravel compacted, with crown in middle and lower on sides for drainage To keep the cost down, as opposed to using fabric, road stone/ multiple layers etc. I guess he already had a bid and it was really high. He says he isn’t looking for a road, just wants the gravel... His current one is all washed out and he wants it re routed because he is putting in some structures for his horses.

According to my math, it would take just shy of 80 tons of the 1” rock... Plus the excavation/ site prep. After running my numbers I am looking at just under $2k in expenses, and figure my bid will be around $5600-6000.

Does this sound right? Is it reasonable to do it like this, versus the “proper way”? His other bid was well over $10k, but I don’t want this to be a waste for him all to save a buck.

Cam15 likes this.
  2. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I get 95 tons if you lay a perfect 4" perfect 12'. I assume you're using a topcon system or something to ensure your grade is on? If not I'd figure up to an extra inch for waste (25%MORE) being that thin you're not going to want to be any extra thin. Is gravel being used also to fill low spots? How far you hauling the topsoil? Any stumps etc?

Could be a good job. Wouldnt use anything without dust in it for bottom layer. What equipment is being used?

Cam15 and MILLC like this.
  3. BarrettG

BarrettG LawnSite Member

I’ve done this same type of project on sand in Florida. I would convince him to get at least a 2” base of clay. Do you have to form it with form boards? If not how are you keeping the rock from spilling out? If the area is suitable to drive on before you put rock down and there is no need to form boards and there is a good clearance for the dump truck drive as it lifts and drops the rock it could be very profitable with minimal work involved. A good delivery guy should be able to spread for you! I wouldn’t give any warranty or promise that it will hold up. Simply stated Do what the customer is asking and cover yourself by saying you would recommend doing it correctly but are willing to take on project if there is no expectation that your responsible at all of any future failure of road.

Mark Stark likes this.
  4. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

You really need to use some oversized rock and road pack and then top it with 1” clean.

2-3 inches of 3” rock. Then 2-3” of road pack. Then a topping of 1”.

5. zlandman

from Ohio

That 3" rock will get swallowed up by the underlying soil if he's not using fabric. That's why we use a well graded agg with dust to seal the subsoil off.

6. OP
    OP
    rclawn

So for the agg with dust do you mean like AB3? I told him the reason his other bid was so high was because of the whole process. He seems adamant on only spending half of that.

I was planning to have the supplier co do most of the spreading for me, then go in with my dingo 1000 w/ land plane and grade it out. The ground is already suitable to be driven on, I drove my 1 ton and loaded dump on it all day the other day. How much would you recommend excavating? Is 4-6” enough for doing it this way?

7. OP
    OP
    rclawn

My gravel cost is $13/ ton, plus $60 delivery per load. I usually price higher, but due to quantity I was going to be around $55/ ton.

8. zlandman

from Ohio

The AB-3 would work fine. Tailgate and grade with dingo will work great too. As you know you can't take out 4"-6" and put 4" back. Take out 2" and put 4" back. We don't know what the soil is so hard to say how much to take out. I'd get a core probe and see how deep the top layer is. Here it would be loam and I'd remove all of that but I've seen a plenty drive built right on top of "whatever "

9. OP
    OP
    rclawn

Waiting on supplier to get back w/ me on the haul rate and additional cost for AB3. As long as I stay under 6 I’ll get the job, I just want to at least do it better than he is asking... He knows there’s no warranty since we aren’t doing proper way. I might add, this is only temporary drive until all his outbuildings are complete and they get it paved

10. Tommy L Wall

Tommy L Wall LawnSite Member

I agree with that.