Gravel driveway help

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Crazy 4 grass, May 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Gold Member

My driveway is 400ft long. One third is recycled asphalt and the other two thirds are pea gravel. The asphalt is falling apart and the pea gravel is thin and sparse and sandy.

I'd like the driveway to be one uniform material over the entire thing. Initially I had thought of getting a semi load of pea gravel and spreading it over the entire thing. But then I figured maybe there is a better option. What material/method would you recommend?
    Thanks in advance

Mark Stark and Cam15 like this.
  2. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Asphalt millings are great if you can get them fresh and hot. Pea rock is a bad choice since it doesn't 'set' or hold any compaction. See if you can find a semi load of Dresser chips. That stuff make great road base and looks good, might be a little expensive.

Cam15 and Crazy 4 grass like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Crazy 4 grass

I've noticed the pea gravel like you said just goes all over the place especially with the snowblower. Can you describe what are dresser chips? I see some Driveways near me that are done in what I believe is class 5 is that a good choice? I am guessing the driveway is approximately 4500 square feet, do you think one semi truck load would cover that and at what depth?

Cam15 likes this.
  4. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Dresser Chips would be about 3/8 pieces of the Gray Trap rock that comes out of Dresser Wisconsin. The 3 inch trap rock is the stuff you see on the railroad grades around the cities. The limestone based Class 5 sold in the cities is the best that Class 5 I have ever used but many local towns in the cities are banning driveways made from it because of lime leaching out of the base. I was never good at calculating amounts needed but one semi load seems light for your coverage, I did a 400 foot driveway years back with two semi loads and could have used a third load.

Cam15 and Crazy 4 grass like this.
  5. Thegrassisgrn'r

Thegrassisgrn'r LawnSite Member
    from Mn

I think with how well you manicure your lawn you deserve blacktop leading up to your homestead.

Mark Stark, Crazy 4 grass and Cam15 like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Crazy 4 grass

I am actually considering cutting in a natural Edge between my lawn and my gravel with the kombi bed redefiner. Having turf butting up to gravel sucks for a clean Edge

7. Bitches_Brew

Bitches_Brew LawnSite Member
    from earth

I see crusher run used on loads of drives around here.

Cam15 likes this.
  8. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Bronze Member

#57 pay the hauler to tail gate spread and be done with it

Cam15 likes this.