1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Gravely 2010 ZT52HD Engine Replacement

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Tws1977, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Tws1977

Tws1977 LawnSite Member

I need to have the engine replaced in my 2010 Gravely ZT52HD. The original engine is the Kawasaki FR691V. The mower is in pretty good shape still. I believe it's worth replacing the engine but I'm leaning toward going with a less expensive engine since the mower is 10 years old. Here's the kicker: I want to do the replacement myself. I'm not a professional mechanic but I have maintained my equipment and performed repairs that didn't require special tools or specialized knowledge.
    1. Can you recommend a replacement engine that will save me significant money vs a Kawasaki that will not require major modifications for installation? (Briggs?)
    2. Do you know of any online resources that might walk me through the process, even if not my exact application?

Thank you!

2. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Start looking at the Harbor Freight 22hp Predator motor. You need to figure out the crankshaft size and length for the clutch on your motor and match it to the new motor to start your search for a replacement motor.

Tws1977 likes this.
  3. Justin Hightower

Justin Hightower LawnSite Member

You can call the guys at small engine warehouse and give them your engine model number and that’ll give them the shaft size and length. As far as mounting you may have to drill new mounting holes. Find a diagram of the mower side of the plug and splice the wires on the motor. You’ll need a solenoid to start it as the Kawi has solenoid built onto starter. You’ll also need a new muffler that will fit your new engine and fit on your mower. By the time you buy and do all that you’ll be time and money ahead buying a new Kawasaki lol

Mdirrigation and Tws1977 like this.
  4. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

Yer Kaw. crank should measure 1'" dia. X 3 5/32 L.
    As was mentioned, ya need to check the muffler setup / clearance.

Tws1977 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Tws1977

Tws1977 LawnSite Member

Which engine do you think is better, the 22hp Predator or a Briggs 44T977-0015? I will verify, but I believe they both have the same shaft.

6. OP
    OP
    Tws1977

Tws1977 LawnSite Member

I know I'll have a good bit of time in it, but I have time on my side in this case. I've already bought a new mower, but I want to repower this one as a second machine, so even if I save a few hundred it might be worth it. However, I'm not completely ruling out buying a Kawasaki, so your point is well taken.

7. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

In this case I'd be looking for the cheaper option. The predator is $999 and if you can use a HF 20 percent off coupon then I'm interested. Don't know about the briggs, my local farm and fleet has replacement briggs motors starting at $650. Either way lots of chinesium in these motors and if I could fit one with a muffler for under $800, thats what I do. Otherwise I'd be considering a $1200 kawi plus trying to find a muffler that fits.

8. OP
    OP
    Tws1977

Tws1977 LawnSite Member

I'm looking at the FS651V for $1,250, which is 1hp less than the original FR691V. I don't know how easy the swap would be, but the shaft appears to be the same size. I can't figure out why the FS series seems to be less expensive than the FR series, even though the FS series is supposed to be the better of the two.