1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Gravely 260 Cut Issues

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by BDS05, Mar 22, 2020.

1. BDS05

BDS05 LawnSite Member

I've recently purchased a used 2016 Gravely Proturn 260 with the X-factor deck. This mower will only be used to cut my one acre of grass / weeds. The mower doesnt have the chute installed (i do have it) but instead a "mulch system" in place that I can close or leave open. The seller told me he just sharpened the blades, which they appear to have been. I want the best cutting blades but don't know where to begin. Mulching isn't a huge concern. I have few trees and cut my yard once, if not twice a week.

My second issue is striping. My old TroyBilt Pony striped better than this unit. This deck has what I assume is a kit installed on the back, hard thick rubber. Anything I could try, budget friendly is welcomed!

I have used the search feature and came up with G6 or Exmark Hi Lift but don't know which would be better for my application or if a better product has since been sold.

I removed the two baffles on the front of the deck after my first cut. I'll have to wait for taller grass to test.

Thank you

2. andyreed

andyreed LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Oregon 91-264 blades. They are a notched high lift blade. Quarter inch deck pitch. With those 2 things you should get a good stripe and a good cut, at least I do on cool season grassike kbg and fescue.

3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Try taking the mulch kit off and see if that helps.

Not sure what mulch system refers to if not a full kit. Typically mulch kits reduce lift.

4. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

Pretty sure he just has a OCDC, not a mulch kit.

sjessen and Ridin' Green like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    BDS05

BDS05 LawnSite Member

It's a plate with holes that blocks the discharge and adjusts up or down via a knob that resembles a trucker's gear shifter....
    That current blades are not mulch style and dont appear to have any lift.

6. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

That is not a mulch kit. Just keeps you from blowing grass in beds and such. If you keep NH it closed for very long you will start leaving a bad window out the side.

7. OP
    OP
    BDS05

BDS05 LawnSite Member

I stand corrected. Thank you. I thought it walk a mulch kit as it kept the clippings in to cut more.

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

It does keep them in and help cut them up more to a degree, but what you have is a block off plate more correctly known as an OCDC which stands for Operator Controlled Discharge Chute and it is for keeping the grass and leaves out of places you don't want them to go. It can act as a make shift mulch kit but that isn't what it is really meant to be used for.

Wildcat2012 likes this.
  9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

The XFactor II is a decent deck, will perform good in all conditions but wet where it will throw wads. Had it for more than a few years, modestly happy, went to a 7Iron Pro, and man big difference.

The Swamp Fox likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    BDS05

BDS05 LawnSite Member

Anyone know the part number if I wanted some exmark hi lift? I've all but called dealers around me (very few) and have had no luck. My model mower number is 992254.