1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravely 460 throttle doesn’t maintain its settings.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by G. Ramey, Sep 26, 2018.

1. G. Ramey

G. Ramey LawnSite Senior Member

the Throttle on my Gravely 460 will not stay where I set it. If I push the throttle to wide open and start cutting in 10 seconds the throttle will move back causing the engine to lose rpm’s. It did it last year but this year has gotten much worse. I have to keep my hand on the throttle to keep it where it needs to be. The mower has about 1100 hours on it. I don’t know if a spring has gotten weak or if there is something wrong with the throttle cable although the throttle cable seems to move easily with no rough spots. Has anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it?

2. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from South Jersey

1. Replace throttle cable, warranty ?

2 Bungee cord

3. Take throttle cable out, drill hole in center pivot, use a bolt with a nyloc nut, tighten so that it will move, but not slide back....

BigFish, hort101 and Walker56 like this.
  3. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Silver Member

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    sjessen and Breezmeister like this.
  4. G. Ramey

G. Ramey LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you for your advice. I drilled out the rivet and replaced it with a bolt. It seems better. I’ll give it a good test when the rain stops.

Breezmeister likes this.
  5. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Silver Member

If case you dont like the “feel” of the throttle after the repair, you can try and add a plastic washer in between the stationary mount and the moveable portion at the pivot. This will allow you to tighten the nyloc nut, as Breezmeister suggested using, a little tighter yet it will still move freely.

hort101, sjessen and Breezmeister like this.
  6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

If it makes you feel any better, one of my 260s is doing the exact same thing. It has about 950 hours on a Kawasaki 850V.

Extremely annoying. I assumed I would just replace the throttle cable when I get to slow down a little.

hort101 likes this.
  7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Well, I got rid of my throttle cable problem Monday morning. Maybe the thieves who took the mower will post on here what they did to fix it.

8. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TEXAS