1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Gravely blowing 30 amp fuse

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BoogieDog, Apr 20, 2006.

1. BoogieDog

BoogieDog LawnSite Member

Any thoughts why the fuse on my Graveley "Commercial 12" is blowing fuses all of a sudden. The wire got very hot, the engine started faltering and then the fuse blew, engine stopped and wouldn't turn over. Then two more fuses, same thing. I can't see anything obviously wrong.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check the pos. feed wire on the back of the ignition switch for rust or corrosion, That wire gets hot and cooks the contacts inside the switch and causes a short.

3. BoogieDog

BoogieDog LawnSite Member

That sounds like a good place to start. Thanks for your quick reply. Looks like I probably need a new ignition switch, which is my next question. Where do I get one?

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You can go here; http://partsradar.arinet.com/Script...oginID=ariensc&loginpwd=consumer&Partner=ARNS and click on Gravely dealer to locate your nearest one or the part # is 019223 and call around other shops to see if they have a cross, Many after-market company's stock this switch.
    Also make sure the connector inside the plastic holder is not burnt, That is common too when this happens.

5. rluscomb

rluscomb LawnSite Member

I have a z252 and it started blowing fuses, turned out that the wire from the ignition was comming loose and then arching causing a short. but start in this general area