1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravely HD 52 or Cub Cadet Z-Force LX 54

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by deltabowhunter, Mar 11, 2017.

1. deltabowhunter

deltabowhunter LawnSite Member

So, I think I've narrowed it down to these two mowers for my every so slightly hilly 2 acres. I was quoted $5299+tax (list) on the Cub Cadet and $5099+tax on the Gravely. I never even considered Cub Cadet until I walked in to the Exmark/Hustler/Cub Cadet dealer today and compared the mowers and price points. I don't really think of Cub Cadet when I think of quality, but the dealer said they'd been dealing them since 1995 and they seem to have the best warranty coverage out of the 3 lines they carried. They also said they sale more to homeowners than the other 2 lines.

I think I like the Gravely better, but the Cub Cadet dealer really bent over backwards to answer all my questions, spent an hour with me, told me they usually cover a denied warranty claim out of pocket the first time or two just to keep a customer happy, and even sat in the seat of a display mower outside that had water on the seat just to dry it off when he thought I wanted to sit on it to get the feel of it. The Gravely dealer didn't really seem to care if he sold me a mower or not. In the 15 minutes or so we were there he couldn't answer any questions about if the mower had a floating deck, repair issues between Kawasaki/Kohler engines, and spit dip within 2 feet or less of my shoes about 20 times while we were talking.

The Cub Cadet has the same ZT3100 transmissions as the Gravely, but the Gravely felt smoother when I drove it (both driven on pavement). The seats were comparable. The CC had a deck cleanout hookup for a water hose, but from what I read online those get clogged up and become useless pretty quickly. The CC had a spring assisted lever for the deck lift instead of the regular foot operated lift. Suprisingly, even with the salesman's 290lbs standing on the deck it was extremely easy to raise and lower. The downfall seemed to be the position. While easy to lift and lower, maybe even easier than foot operated, it was in an awkward position next to the lap bars. You had to take your right hand off the bar and reach around it to lower/raise the deck. The lap bars also served as the parking brake. I'm not sure if that is a positive or negative. The CC also had a 4 year warranty compared to the 3 year Gravely warranty.

The Gravely was a no frills controls compared to the CC. It had a choke, throttle, and blade engagement. The CC had all this plus reverse override for mowing and a bunch of other stuff/warning labels that seemed like a waste of time. The Gravely had a single 5 gallon fuel tank compared to the CC's dual 2.6 gallon tanks. The CC tanks required a manual switch over that I'm assuming would require you to run out of gas before you realized you needed to switch. The Gravely engine seemed to lag on blade engagement compared to the CC.

If the CC had a hand lever parking brake and deck lift I'd have probably bought it today based on the extra warranty and the dealer's customer care. The were extremely personable and seemed to care about the customer. I have another Gravely dealer in the opposite direction from my house, but the same distance away I'm going to try and visit later this week.

Has anyone had experience with either of these mowers? Especially the Cub Cadet Z Force LX 54? What is everyone's thoughts on these two mowers?

Also, are most dealers willing to haggle on price on these top end home owner mowers?

2. WilsonBoud

WilsonBoud LawnSite Member

Three years ago when I was researching for my ZTR, I went with Scag. However if I had to choose between Gravely and Cub Cadet today, to me it would be very simple. ......"Gravely" hands down. I have several friends that cringe at hearing the name Cub Cadet.

RDALawns likes this.
  3. deltabowhunter

I wanted to look at a Scag, but the closest dealer is an hour away. I have a Cub Cadet, Hustler, and Exmark dealer within 20 minutes; Gravely dealer within 20 minutes, and another Gravely dealer 20 minutes in the other direction. For my price point of $5,000 or less ExMark and Hustler do not have a comparable mower.

4. deltabowhunter

I ended up purchasing the Gravely ZT HD 52. I'm picking it up today after work.

5. WilsonBoud

WilsonBoud LawnSite Member

Good for you ..... I don't think you will have a moment's regret ......