1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Gravely Homeowner 34'z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by True Harbor, Mar 21, 2006.

1. True Harbor

True Harbor LawnSite Member

A dealer told me some guys have been buying these and using them commercially and they've been holding up. What do u guys think about this idea. I know it voids the warranty but I'm only cutting about 3 days a week. I dont want to invest in the 5000 dollar commercial 34z so its either this homeowner model a 34' gravely pro steer g walk behind or 32' snapper single hydro walk behind.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Then go with the Quick 36 with the KAW engine and for like $2600-$2700 you have a true Commercial Hydro walkbehind.

Remember on the homeowner models.....there is a REASON the maker will only warranty them for 90 days if used commercially......you should be able to guess why that is. If you are cutting say just 5 lawns a day for those 3 days a week, those three days use wear wise are equal to 15 weeks use as a homeowner mower.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Gravely dealer. I would not recommend the homeowner 34" machine for 3 days/week of mowing. It will not hold up. If you were doing maybe 5 or 6 lawns/week, yes, it would probably get you by for a year or two. But, not 3 full days/week. That machine is designed for maybe an hour or two of mowing/week. At that level of use, it will last many years.
    Buy a commercial duty mower. You can buy a Gravely belt drive, 34" commercial walkbehind, and a riding sulky for about what that little homeowner machine will cost, and have a machine better suited for the intended use.

4. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

Whats the average life for a well maintained Gravely hydro 1752 Fl ? Got one last year and I'm hoping it lasts for a long time

5. Mowingman

from Texas

What is a 1752 FI? I don't think Gravely makes a model like that. Are you sure it is a Gravely?

6. one man gang

from N. In.

Um that's what it says on the mower and the manual and the reciept. It's a pro series model # 988109 HR 1752fl

7. Mowingman

from Texas

Ok, now I know what you are talking about. In your earlier post, you keyed it in as a "1752 FI". There is no such machine. It is actually a "1752 FL" .
    That was a good heavy commercial machine. With proper care, it should go 2000hrs from what I have seen of those commercial machines.

8. one man gang

from N. In.

I wrote l(L) but I didn't cap. but thanks for the reply. I hope to hell it lasts longer than 2000 for what it cost. You say your a dealer, ever hear of Burkes Gravely in Valparaiso In.? He's a thief.