Gravely low voltage

Buck75

LawnSite Member
I have a gravely proturn 160 (991081) with the Kawasaki 23.5 hp (fx730v). while mowing, the mower just died. after checking everything, I have came to the conclusion that I have low voltage to just about everything, plugs, fuel solenoid, pto.....I can start the mower by unplugging the kill wire to the coils and running a jumper to the fuel solenoid from the battery, but I'm still not able to engage the pro. I have replaced the battery, rectifier/regulator, checked all fuses, tested voltage from the stator and checked (and even bypassed) safety switches. I am now at a loss, any help would be appreciated.

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
Sounds like a short to frame of mower somewhere in safety circuit wiring. If you have a multimeter that has tone option for continuity, set meter up to the coil kill wire(s) and unplug all safety switches. If there is continuity, move the wiring harness around to see if the meter reading changes state. Double check that the safety switches aren’t shorted as you reconnect them. You might also check the clutch wiring if it’s electric. Hope this helps you, you’re headed in the right direction. Just reread your description of problem, there should not be any voltage on kill wire to coils, no continuity on coils to ground to run engine and continuity to stop engine.

OP
B

Buck75

LawnSite Member
I have checked all safety switches, using a meter. I even left them unplugged and used a jumper to bypass them. it's just the strangest thing I have ever seen. what ever it is, its affecting ALL accessories. thanks for the quick reply, I'll check all grounds.

OP
B

Buck75

LawnSite Member
well.....she is fixed!!! I finally exhausted all options and decided to visit the dealer. long story short, my original diagnosis of a bad start switch was correct. the new one that was sold to me was bad out of the box.

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
Sorry if I sent you down the wrong path but after reading your original post, I didn't see anything about a new ignition switch....