Gravely Pro Stance 48 LEMON

Inspection Ready Lawns

LawnSite Member
Hello everyone, I am in need of some dire advice from my fellow LCO's. I purchased a Pro Stance 48" new from the showroom floor back in June 2015. I chose the Gravely because of the build quality and ease of use, very nimble and can handle slopes with ease. When I got home that day I was dying to try it out on my lawn so I did what any other man would do. I fired her up and went to town, but when I went to feather the deck over a hump in my yard the belt disintegrated. I was so disappointed but I took it in the very next morning and got it fixed, deck was out of whack somehow. My local dealership has exceptional service and always gets me back out there with minimal down time. Then the hour meter went out after 20 or so hours, then the OCDC cable snapped in its casing, not once but twice. That little cable is not cheap but the warranty covered it. Now every time I use it I'm always afraid that it will pop again. Not a huge problem but it defeats the purpose of having a operator controlled discharge chute.

Then the hour meter crapped out again so I don't know the exact hours on it anymore. Again not a huge problem but a nuisance none the less. Then the HOC (height of cut) was all messed up, turns out I was cutting at the wrong height from Day one. Basically I was over a 1/2 inch off the actual cutting height. They supposedly fixed/replaced a broken pin that assisted in the height selection, it was never the same again cause I had to relearn all of my lawns and do a crap load of test passes. Then the carburetor Welch plugs fell out and caused the mower to run like crap, they fixed that problem and told me it happens. Maybe it does happen but not on a machine that barely has 100 hours on it, again I don't know the exact hours but that sounds about right according to the dealer maintenance log. Then one day the panic switch kept getting set off so when I went to disengage the parking brake the whole unit would die. Talk about being embarrassed in front of a customer as I shoved the machine back onto my trailer, not fun. Took it to the shop and they fixed it on the spot, wire just broke, keep in mind that I never touch the wires cause they are tucked under the dash. I started to feel like my luck was changing, I mean, nothing else could go wrong right? Boy was I wrong.

Most recent thing to go was the platform bushings, the little rubber cones that absorb the impact as you ride over rough terrain. That could of been from me being a big guy but they are taking care of it so I'm not too concerned there. I noticed they were bad when I went to flip up the platform so I could fit another machine on my trailer and the platform wouldn't align at all, it just kept falling down on my chins like a guillotine. Then out of all things that I despise the most, the deck. It started to creep down on its own mid cut only about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch but still. I noticed it on a couple yards but thought maybe my tires were just losing air or something. In other words, I could tell that I was scalping in some areas that were on completely flat surfaces, no change in speed, no ditches no roots in the yard, just flat.

So, after leaving a few yards looking like a peeled potato I decided to take it back to the shop where I bought it from. Remember, this was a brand new unit, not a Demo. This thing was fresh and it looked bad a**. Looks can be deceiving, but she handles like a dream. Anyways, I seem to have went from being that guy that always buys new equipment each season and being greeted with a smile every time I walk in, to being "that guy" who is a PITA cause my machine is always coming back for repairs. Hey man, I didn't ask for this, I've owned many mowers in my day and none of them had this many problems so soon. Matter of fact, none of my equipment ever failed like this. I take care of my equipment, plugs, blades, filters and fluids get changed like clockwork. I don't skimp on that cause it pays for itself in the long run. But in my case I am feeling buyers remorse like you wouldn't believe. I wouldn't give this thing away cause of all the problems that keeps happening to it.

Another thing I want to mention is I also own the 36" pro stance and that little guy is solid, small but can hang with the rest only a little slower cause of its size and power. But that thing only had one issue since I bought it and they resolved it very quickly. So far so good. I've been using it a lot lately since my main mower is sitting in the shop waiting for new parts, deck stuff I guess. I've talked to Gravely on the phone several times to express my concern, I've even had a thank you card from Dan Ariens himself explaining how the company appreciates my business. He's a great guy by the way. But I am still left pissing in the wind with this machine that is always having to be repaired. I can live with a few discrepancies here and there but when the cut is so out of whack that you have no idea what height you are really at, then that is a major issue to me.

The engine is a brute, the hydro's are solid, the deck is a monster along with the spindles but the rest of the mower is a bad egg. I hate to say the word Lemon but it is what it is.

The people at Gravely don't seem to want to have anything to do with the consumer, they talk to me like I am being a pest. My main question here is what can I do to get some relief here? Dealership is content with getting this warranty work cause they are getting paid while I'm losing valuable time hauling it back and forth to the shop. I must say that they do offer loaners which is wonderful but going from a surfer to a sit down slows things down a little, not to mention the height of cut is different and the blades are usually dull. So do I bark up their tree or do I talk to Gravely again? Trust me, I don't mean to come off like an ahole who isn't happy with his man machine cause it cuts like garbage, I'm just tired of being told that I have to live with a mower that tears up on a monthly basis. And to think that I sold my Scag for this. And at what point does a dealership or manufacturer realize that maybe it's time to give someone a new mower after it's been in the shop almost a dozen times when the machine is barely a year old with 100 hours on the clock?

I do apologize for any grammatical errors since I typed all of this on my phone and I know it's quite the read but I don't know who else to talk to about this. Thanks in advance.

Joe

southerntide

LawnSite Fanatic
I won't go crazy about them tired of saying the obvious but you can search forums on that brand and see it is very common how bad they are and having to double/triple cut

OP
I

Inspection Ready Lawns

LawnSite Member
Update:

Dealer has replaced left arm on deck that lifts the deck up and down. Seemed to be alright then the Height of cut skipped a setting and started dropping on me in the middle of a job. Now I am scalping yards cause the height is all wrong again for the 7th time. Wiring fell apart under the dash again and mower was dead in the middle of a yard. Had to tow it to my trailer then load it on with a come along in the rain. Hour meter works when it wants to and this is the second one they've replaced. The height of cut is the most important thing to me, blades and other factors will determine the quality of cut but if the height is jacked up then how am I supposed to make a yard look good? Technician even said they don't know why it skips a setting by itself like that. No lie, this unit has been in the repair bay over a dozen times and the deck issue is not getting resolved. I honestly think I have a lemon on my hands. I don't want anything for my time lost on this thing I just want a machine that functions correctly day in and day out. Losing clients cause of a downed machine every couple of weeks and scalped yards is not something I enjoy. Guys around here are think my equipment is a joke. I think it's time for litigation.

southerntide

LawnSite Fanatic
typical

how many hours on machine now?

Best I can tell ya to do is correct the deck height setting and sale it get away and run these stories are all very similar if not worse

OP
I

Inspection Ready Lawns

LawnSite Member
typical

how many hours on machine now?

Best I can tell ya to do is correct the deck height setting and sale it get away and run these stories are all very similar if not worse
Machine has around 120 hrs. Clock says 91 but it was stuck at that for weeks. I'm going to pick it up now for the second time this week. Might get a days work out of it till it needs to be corrected again.

southerntide

LawnSite Fanatic
SALE IT get away from that company man trust me been there done that

Top Forums