Lawn Care Forum banner
101 - 120 of 696 Posts
I think the 27hp will do fine thats not going to stop me from buying this mower. I was very impressed with this new Gravely.:usflag:

I demoed the pro turn 260 with a 27 hp Kawasaki and it had the x-factor deck. The deck stripped nice and had good discharge. There are some adjustments under the seat for the sticks that might help out the hydro. The gravely a high center of gravity which I didnt like. Also the deck kept jumping up like the machine was more ridged then my exmark or hustler. The deck was mounted on chains. They didn't have a 460 there to try but it might of made a difference.
I was thinking of buying a Pro Turn 260 with the KAW 31. I didn't know how it would do in wet grass though. I owned a 152z with the KAW 23 and it cut ok but it was pretty terrible bagging wet grass. It was nice for leaves though. The dealer wants 8g for it 8500 out the door after tax. Which is literally 2-3 grand less than comparable exmarks or scags.

I like this Gravely the best of the Gravely line, but Im surprised nobody is saying anything negative about those plastic hydro tanks. BadBoy used them first and everyone made negative comments about them.

I also like the solid deck hangers , another good idea by BB that was copied and improved by Gravely. Looks like Gravely has built a nice mower. Wish i could demo one someday.

I like this Gravely the best of the Gravely line, but Im surprised nobody is saying anything negative about those plastic hydro tanks. BadBoy used them first and everyone made negative comments about them.

I also like the solid deck hangers , another good idea by BB that was copied and improved by Gravely. Looks like Gravely has built a nice mower. Wish i could demo one someday.
I noticed and was turned off by the plastic tanks. I didn't have anything to compare it to and didn't know if this was normal on other brands as well. I did see them on BB and was also turned off by them. Being around Hustler so long with there big hydro system makes it look very cheap. I guess you need to be able to see the level. You'd think a aluminum finned tank with a sight glass would be the way to go unless this acts solely as a reservoir to hold fluid and hot fluid is not circulating back through it which I'm guessing is the case.

Can anyone tell me if there is one or more filters in the hydro system of the 400?

I noticed and was turned off by the plastic tanks. I didn't have anything to compare it to and didn't know if this was normal on other brands as well. I did see them on BB and was also turned off by them. Being around Hustler so long with there big hydro system makes it look very cheap. I guess you need to be able to see the level. You'd think a aluminum finned tank with a sight glass would be the way to go unless this acts solely as a reservoir to hold fluid and hot fluid is not circulating back through it which I'm guessing is the case.

Can anyone tell me if there is one or more filters in the hydro system of the 400?
Actually the plastic tanks work great if placed away from any major heat source like BB did on the Outlaws. Also its good to have separate tanks for each side in case of a failure. Time will tell on the Gravely as it is in a more confined area.

Discussion starter · #106 ·

Two hydro filters I believe and remote hydro tanks are reservoirs that help with cooling.
Posted via Mobile Device

Two hydro filters I believe and remote hydro tanks are reservoirs that help with cooling.
Posted via Mobile Device
The plastic Tanks shouldn't have but 1/2 inch of hyd oil in them. They are just for maintaining the proper oil level. The cooling fins on each unit do most of the cooling. Doesn't the Gravely use the Hydro Gear 5400 transaxles like the Outlaw?

I will fill you guys in on the X-Factor deck.

1. Provides a nice smooth manicured cut
2. The first year or two it will stay spotless clean then over time as the paint wears off and it will get buildup under the deck
3. During the time the deck stays clean it wont clump much in wet conditions but as that paint wears off the clumps will begin
4. The discharge leaves a bit to be desired. It kind of directs the grass down and out instead of straight out and you will find in heavy growth periods it will leave strips of debris just out the side of the discharge from it throwing the grass down and out instead of straight out

I like the X-Factor deck and have been using ours daily since 2008 but I wish gravely could tweak the deck a little to make it throw the grass straight out like an exmark or 7 Iron does. It forces you to raise the deck and make a second pass in thick conditions to clean up the debris.

That air seat scares me to be honest. I can only imagine the cost to replace it. Both of our gravely zero turns have standard seats and neither one of them lasted more than 3 years before they started falling apart and they want almost $300 for a standard seat. God help you if you need to replace that air ride seat.

Also for some reason they seem to have an issue with the idler pulley bearings on the deck. Our 34Z has gone through 2 in 2000 hours and our 160Z has had one replaced last year at about the 1200 hour mark. Never had one fail on any other mower before.

I do like gravely a lot but I also feel certain things need to be improved. I do not like how our 160Z turns (or the 34Z but that is to be expected out of such a narrow ztr). It always feels like it is dragging one tire even on concrete and tends to tear up lawns. The downhill traction is non existent. The Z925A I demoed last year turned on a dime and did not tear lawns up. It also threw grass out (way out!) and left a nice cut. That may be my next mower purchase.

Almost forgot. We have a couple gravely dealers but none of them are REAL close like the exmark, bobcat, kkubota etc etc dealers are. Also I can call looking for a part and they almost never have it. They always have to order it and pay for overnight shipping plus they always want MSRP for every part.

Thanks for the honest evaluation. That's the second time I've read about the discharge shooting the clippings down. The clumping and poor discharge is sounding discouraging. This is the big ? on this particular mower more than anything. Every mower QOC and collection of grass under the deck will suffer at least some once the paint wears off the deck. I'm afraid some deck designs may have a more negative impact once the paint is gone than others. Everything else about 400 looks good, on paper anyway.

Discussion starter · #111 ·
Got the second cut in with my 452. Again fescue mix, dry conditions but this time I side discharged. I'm still very impressed with the stripes without the stripe kit on. Nothing stuck under the deck and the clipping dispersal was great. The clippings are smaller than my velocity deck and leave a smoother finish cut in dry conditions. So far I'm very impressed in dry conditions. All we need is some rain to continue my review.

Sky Plant Lawn mower Wheel Cloud

Tire Wheel Plant Lawn mower Property

Sky Plant Cloud Window Building

Discussion starter · #112 ·
Today I got to put the 452 through a very very tough test. I mowed a thick, wet 8 inch lawn/field. The air seat was awesome as the field was really rough. A very comfortable ride. Very little engine bogging! I experienced very little scalping which my fixed deck scag does a lot of on this property. No clumping or stringers!! Deck stayed clean!! BUT I did experience what others have said. The discharge is very concentrated and doesn't spread like my velocity deck does. I was able to cure about 80% of this by taking off the chute but it is worth noting for other interested in the x-factor deck. Over all I would grade the deck a B+ in these conditions on this property. I was pleased overall and did not have to double cut!!

Sky Cloud Plant Property Building

Sky Plant Property Cloud Window

Plant Tree Natural landscape Split-rail fence Land lot

Discussion starter · #113 ·
Just want to give everyone a quick update. I have about a dozen cuts under my belt with the 452. I'm getting ready for my first oil change at 8 hours. I must say I'm still very impressed! I have cut enough dry lawns now to say the x-factor deck leaves an amazing cut which is much smoother than my scag velocity deck in dry conditions(even some customers have commented!). I still need more time in wet grass to give an honest opinion. So far I have not had to double cut, had no stringers, no clumping and the deck has stayed clean. My early feeling is the velocity has a better discharge pattern for these conditions due to the x-factor being more concentrated(but still powerful).

Just want to give everyone a quick update. I have about a dozen cuts under my belt with the 452. I'm getting ready for my first oil change at 8 hours. I must say I'm still very impressed! I have cut enough dry lawns now to say the x-factor deck leaves an amazing cut which is much smoother than my scag velocity deck in dry conditions(even some customers have commented!). I still need more time in wet grass to give an honest opinion. So far I have not had to double cut, had no stringers, no clumping and the deck has stayed clean. My early feeling is the velocity has a better discharge pattern for these conditions due to the x-factor being more concentrated(but still powerful).
The xfactor will stay spotless clean until the paint wears off under the deck and even then it wont clog up to bad but it will require some cleaning at the end of the day if you cut in wet conditions. So far your thoughts on the xfactor are exactly like mine. It leaves a carpet smooth clean cut similar to an ultracut deck. I just wish they would make some adjustments to allow it to discharge straight out instead of down and out. It would reduce the need to double cut to clean up that line of grass that got thrown down in a skinny row on deep lawns. My new G6 blades show up today and I will put them to the test tomorrow so I will let you know how the xfactor does with them.

Reactions: The Swamp Fox
The xfactor will stay spotless clean until the paint wears off under the deck and even then it wont clog up to bad but it will require some cleaning at the end of the day if you cut in wet conditions. So far your thoughts on the xfactor are exactly like mine. It leaves a carpet smooth clean cut similar to an ultracut deck. I just wish they would make some adjustments to allow it to discharge straight out instead of down and out. It would reduce the need to double cut to clean up that line of grass that got thrown down in a skinny row on deep lawns. My new G6 blades show up today and I will put them to the test tomorrow so I will let you know how the xfactor does with them.
ProStreet, anxious for your feed back on the G6s on this machine. What size deck and engine are you running? I demoed a 460 yesterday and looked at the factory blades. Another option I believe would be the Oregon fusion notched high lifts. I has more cutting edge which has more of a bearing on lift than cut and the notch adds some additional turbulence under the deck IMO.

I can't say enough about the Gravely sales rep. Fred Joyner and regional manager JW Washington that brought the unit clear out here for me to demo. Great guys with good information. I also got to see the Pro Stance in action and was very impressed. Anyone using or looking at a Wright stander should definitely give them a look. My review of the machine is that this is the best cutting, most comfortable, well thought out machine I have seen yet. The few things I see different that I question weather it's heavy duty enough will only be told by time. I tried hard to find negatives with the machine and I'm picky.

The only things I could find is ride height is slightly higher than my earlier Super Z which were some of the lowest. Even the new Super Z is higher than the early ones. All the bolts preset in the deck for the addition of the mulch kit sticking through is just asking to catch clippings and make it hard to clean the underside of the deck. The rep recommend just removing them and leaving them out if I'm not mulching, but being the guy I am I'll probably look for shorter bolts if they even make them or buy another set and cut them down so they are flush with the underside. The only other thing I don't care for is the no flat casters, but most brands have gone to this. I would definitely purchase the pneumatics. One odd note is the discharge chute does not hinge or fold up like all the others I've used. Instead it inserts in one position using the same attachment points as the blower for the catcher. It worked well in place and off. The only down side I see is what to do with it if you take it off.
I'd be getting the operator controlled discharge chute anyway so it's a moot point for me.

Now for the good. To many things I liked to mention! I haven't been this excited about a mower in a long time. Here are some: Tie down points all the way around which I'll never use but hey. Deck height adj. system is nice and I really like that you can lock out the transport latch so you don't accidentally latch it when floating the deck. Deck height adj. pedal adjusts. Isolated foot platform, steering sticks, seat platform, and engine cradle! I hadn't read or even heard that the engine cradle is isolated from the frame. I was originally thinking the air seat was hype. I've drive several big trucks with air ride seats that incorporate shocks in their system and they help but are far from comfortable and usually have a pogo effect. Really, all your doing is replacing spring tension cables on the typical suspension seat for air. So how much better could it really be? I have to honestly say it was the best. Smoothest I've ever operated. I have not run the Ferris or Cheetah ZTR but I do run Hustler Super Zs with the suspension seat and flex forks which are respected for their smooth ride and this hands down blows it away. The ROPS folds over to a nice height that is lower than the seat which will allow me to leave it on. Something I never thought I would be able to consider. I like the perforated floor pans and metal steps over the no-slip stickers. Metal deck pulley covers instead of plastic like some. Dry weight is only 1369 lbs. I don't know how they do it. The controls are laid out nicely on the 13.4 gallon tanks with independent gauges. It's a good looking machine all the way around. Has a high approach angle at the back which allows me to back on my trailer. This and Husky are the first mid mounts I've used that could do this. The deck pulleys are large and two piece riveted with the far right pulley already being a double for the optional install of the blower for the catcher. The controls are smooth and accurate and the sticks are fat padded and wide set giving you gobs of room. Easy steering adjustments if ever needed. Easy deck pitch adjustment if ever needed. Baffles and blades are slightly recessed so the front of deck lip will push mole hills and things flat instead of the baffles or blades hitting them. This should keep blades sharper longer. Gusseting of the deck look strong. Anti-scalp wheels are supported on both sides. Ratcheting, tethered, large gas caps, They have all the accessories I'm looking for ie. hitch, striper, bagger, lights, mulch kit, seat cover, operator controlled discharge chute, etc. The big if on this machine on paper was the rpm blade tip speeds and the small discharge shoot. I'm happy to say it's the best cutting and clipping distributing deck I've used to date. No double cutting and 99% no clumping or canopying of clippings on grass even at full stick on 8 day growth. 13 mph is slower than the 15 mph I'm use to having available but it's small price to pay and fast than many out there. The fleet discount is great.

There's more I could write but will spare you. I you have any questions or concerns about something feel free to ask and I'll tell you what I know.

Today I demo a Outlaw and then I may still demo a new Super Z.

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Lawn mower

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Lawn mower

Plant Sky Tree Natural environment Natural landscape

Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape Land lot

GMLC, Could you post a pic of the rear bracket mounted to the machine that the bagger attaches to? Also the rep said something about a bar that is mounted high and around the bagger to act like a bumper. Did you get this and just not mount it or is it optional? What engine are you running and how was the power with the bagger on hills?

mtmower our machine is a 2008 160Z which is a 60" cut with 25hp Kohler.

Here it is when it was new.

After a day of cutting wet grass.

Just took this the other day right after we had 1.5" of rain.

My own personal lawn cut with the xfactor at 3.5"

I will let you know how the G6 blades work out. The rolled foil high lift oem blades are far superior to notched high lifts. They create better vacuum to lift the grass up to be cut smooth. I cant stand notched blades at all to be honest. You can get exact carbon copy blades from Stens. I get my blades on ebay for about $65 shipped for two complete sets. What I do not like about our 160Z is it tears lawns up easily. It just does not turn that great for some reason. Our old lazer hp 48" turns very easily. I demoed a JD Z925A last summer and I was highly impressed with that machine. Even being 400 pounds heavier it turned so smooth and easy you almost had to force it to tear up a lawn. The 7Iron deck was awesome and threw the clippings WAYYYYY out the side and the cut quality was fantastic. That may be our next machine. JD also has the electric deck lift with thumb controls on the levers which at this point is something my dad needs in order to keep working due to his neurapothy in his legs and feet from diabetes. He has a very hard time with foot operated deck lift. The seat and ride comfort was phenomenal also.

My demo machine that I absolutely loved.

This was the middle of summer and the lawns were starting to get very stressed but this is part of my front yard.

Discussion starter · #118 ·
GMLC, Could you post a pic of the rear bracket mounted to the machine that the bagger attaches to? Also the rep said something about a bar that is mounted high and around the bagger to act like a bumper. Did you get this and just not mount it or is it optional? What engine are you running and how was the power with the bagger on hills?
mtmower, tomorrow I will take some pics of the bagging system for you. Yes there is a very heavy duty bar the surrounds the top of the bagger and it comes standard not an option. It gets covered by the cloth cover. I have the 24 hp kawi(27hp old rating) and have not had any power issues bagging or in thick grass.

Great review on the 460! Honestly I believe Gravely hit the ball out of the park with the 400 series. It has raised the bar for comfort, features and fit/finish. I bought it after 15 years of being a Scag fanatic(still am). Its going to take the other companies a bit to catch up. Everything on the 400 series makes sense and is built very well. So far I am more than happy with my purchase. The only thing I can complain about is the clipping dispersal in wet thick/tall grass is not spread as good as the velocity deck dispersal. But 80% of that was cured with the chute off. This is in no way clumping and I have not had to double cut or blow the clippings. The QOC is really amazing and that was my main worry.

101 - 120 of 696 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.