Lawn Care Forum banner
121 - 140 of 696 Posts
mtmower, tomorrow I will take some pics of the bagging system for you. Yes there is a very heavy duty bar the surrounds the top of the bagger and it comes standard not an option. It gets covered by the cloth cover. I have the 24 hp kawi(27hp old rating) and have not had any power issues bagging or in thick grass.

Great review on the 460! Honestly I believe Gravely hit the ball out of the park with the 400 series. It has raised the bar for comfort, features and fit/finish. I bought it after 15 years of being a Scag fanatic(still am). Its going to take the other companies a bit to catch up. Everything on the 400 series makes sense and is built very well. So far I am more than happy with my purchase. The only thing I can complain about is the clipping dispersal in wet thick/tall grass is not spread as good as the velocity deck dispersal. But 80% of that was cured with the chute off. This is in no way clumping and I have not had to double cut or blow the clippings. The QOC is really amazing and that was my main worry.
My decision is between the Kawasaki 31 hp and the Kohler 29 EFI (I think old hp rating, probably more like 25 hp) I like both engines. I know the Kaw will have the hp and the Kohler will have better gph. My concern with the Kohler is hp. I have the 28 Kohler EFI on my 66" Super Z and it's smooth and reliable but not enough power to bag and push my thatch rake. I know I'm not comparing apples to apples because the SZ has bigger pumps which is drawing more hp. It may work on the 460.

mtmower our machine is a 2008 160Z which is a 60" cut with 25hp Kohler.

I will let you know how the G6 blades work out. The rolled foil high lift oem blades are far superior to notched high lifts. They create better vacuum to lift the grass up to be cut smooth. I cant stand notched blades at all to be honest. You can get exact carbon copy blades from Stens. I get my blades on ebay for about $65 shipped for two complete sets. What I do not like about our 160Z is it tears lawns up easily. It just does not turn that great for some reason. Our old lazer hp 48" turns very easily. I demoed a JD Z925A last summer and I was highly impressed with that machine. Even being 400 pounds heavier it turned so smooth and easy you almost had to force it to tear up a lawn. The 7Iron deck was awesome and threw the clippings WAYYYYY out the side and the cut quality was fantastic. That may be our next machine. JD also has the electric deck lift with thumb controls on the levers which at this point is something my dad needs in order to keep working due to his neurapothy in his legs and feet from diabetes. He has a very hard time with foot operated deck lift. The seat and ride comfort was phenomenal also.
Thanks for the info on the blades and nice stripes.

Def have a look at the 460 before you turn green. The slightly smaller tires and narrower frame on your 160 will cause a little more tearing of the turf than the bigger machines, plus were talking different hydro set ups on the 460 and the Deere compared to your 160, so it's not a fair comparison. I notice the same or less tearing of the turf with the 460 than I do with my Super Zs.

IMO John Deere makes a very nice cutting mower. And I know they rank up there at the top with Scag, Ferris, Hustler, Chopper, etc. Our dealer won't come off the 960 for less than $12,900.00 and I can't demo it first. Personally I don't care for how they look which is a stupid little thing and shouldn't effect it making money. Too many things made out of different materials and bolted on. The MOD option and the electric switch on the sticks for the deck lift are a very sweet option. There is no way a Deere comes close to the ride of the 460. The Ferris and Cheetah may but I haven't had any seat time on them. The fleet discount is just awesome. You can get a loaded 460 with all the attachments for about $10500.00 out the door with 0/48 financing and everything for the next 12 months from Gravely is 20% off. This means belts, filters, blades, another mower, etc. Deere probably does the same financing. Most use Shefield. The Deere would be easily $15000.00 for the equivalent. I've been die hard Hustler for quite a while, and I'm sure the new Z is quite a mower, but after driving the 460 and looking at the numbers I'm finding it hard to even go through the steps of demoing it because it will be a similar deal. Probably also in the $15500.00 range decked out. $5-6k can buy a lot of gas, new equipment, or something that has nothing to do with lawn care!:drinkup:

glad to see you guys are discovering about Gravely what I already know and love. :) I have had my two a year now and still love them both.

Discussion starter · #125 ·
glad to see you guys are discovering about Gravely what I already know and love. :) I have had my two a year now and still love them both.
Gravely is really getting more aggressive and getting the word out. They know the more people that demo the more they will sell. Word is spreading already. Plus the fleet program and 0 percent financing really puts the icing on the cake.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just want to give everyone a quick update. I have about a dozen cuts under my belt with the 452. I'm getting ready for my first oil change at 8 hours. I must say I'm still very impressed! I have cut enough dry lawns now to say the x-factor deck leaves an amazing cut which is much smoother than my scag velocity deck in dry conditions(even some customers have commented!). I still need more time in wet grass to give an honest opinion. So far I have not had to double cut, had no stringers, no clumping and the deck has stayed clean. My early feeling is the velocity has a better discharge pattern for these conditions due to the x-factor being more concentrated(but still powerful).
What oil will you use? Synthetic? Brand and weight please. I picked up an oil filter when I purchased the mower.

My 460 is at 8hrs and I'd like to change mine.

I'd review the 460 but it is the only ZTR I've ever driven. I have nothing to compare except my 12 year old Sears Poulan Pro.

I will say WOW! The mower flat out cuts grass. I forgot to buckle up and didn't realize it until I was finished.

I drove it to my lot (1.5 miles), mowed 4 acres, drove it back, mowed my .4 acre (home) lot in 2.5 hrs. First time on a ZTR in my life.

I was not paying attention and backed over a news paper (Washington Post) and picked up confetti for 15 minutes.

Jim

What oil will you use? Synthetic? Brand and weight please. I picked up an oil filter when I purchased the mower.

I'd review the 460 but it is the only ZTR I've ever driven. I have nothing to compare except my 12 year old Sears Poulan Pro.

I will say WOW! The mower flat out cuts grass. I forgot to buckle up and didn't realize it until I was finished.

I drove it to my lot (1.5 miles), mowed 4 acres, drove it back, mowed my .4 acre (home) lot in 2.5 hrs. First time on a ZTR in my life.

I was not paying attention and backed over a news paper (Washington Post) and picked up confetti for 15 minutes.

Jim
i guess there is a first for everything right????

Gravely may have hit a homerun with the 400 series, but I still was not impressed with the 260 series. They had no reverse traction, sucked so bad I took the mower back after buying it. Gravely took it back too. Now the 400 series I like , and would demo one when I get ready to buy again. My biggest concern is when pointing downhill can you back up enough to make a turn. The 260 slowed me down trying not to spin the wheels, or slide downhill. I still want to see more pics on hills of the 400 series.

Gravely may have hit a homerun with the 400 series, but I still was not impressed with the 260 series. They had no reverse traction, sucked so bad I took the mower back after buying it. Gravely took it back too. Now the 400 series I like , and would demo one when I get ready to buy again. My biggest concern is when pointing downhill can you back up enough to make a turn. The 260 slowed me down trying not to spin the wheels, or slide downhill. I still want to see more pics on hills of the 400 series.
I have one killer yard that is all my Super Zs can do to stay on and that's creeping, fuel tanks for weight, armrests up and me hanging out as far as I can on the up hill side. The Walker I demoed was bad enough I slid off in to the woods but to be far I didn't check the tire psi ( I like around 10-12). I learned my lesson and I check psi on any mower I demo now. I can have a big effect of ride and traction between just a few psi. Didn't have a chance to put the 460 on it. Only cut on the flat. Maybe someone else can comment on hills. I did notice the 460 runs a 24x11.5x12 kenda brand tire where my SZs run 24x12x12 Carlisles. Basically the same tread just a .5" narrower which in theory should have a better bite since it has more lbs. per sq. in. Oddly the rep said they like to run mid 20 psi and he said he'd be afraid someone may break the bead or peal one off the rim if you got to low. He may have just been covering the company for liability sake.

I have one killer yard that is all my Super Zs can do to stay on and that's creeping, fuel tanks for weight, armrests up and me hanging out as far as I can on the up hill side. The Walker I demoed was bad enough I slid off in to the woods but to be far I didn't check the tire psi ( I like around 10-12). I learned my lesson and I check psi on any mower I demo now. I can have a big effect of ride and traction between just a few psi. Didn't have a chance to put the 460 on it. Only cut on the flat. Maybe someone else can comment on hills. I did notice the 460 runs a 24x11.5x12 kenda brand tire where my SZs run 24x12x12 Carlisles. Basically the same tread just a .5" narrower which in theory should have a better bite since it has more lbs. per sq. in. Oddly the rep said they like to run mid 20 psi and he said he'd be afraid someone may break the bead or peal one off the rim if you got to low. He may have just been covering the company for liability sake.
I'd drop the pressure to 8 to 10 lbs on hills , but I run 11 in my Exmarks, and 7 in my Outlaw, I've never lost the bead yet, but I don't get stupid on a hill or I'm sure you could probably pop the bead. Some guys run their mowers like their tanks and then have all kinds of issues.

mtnmower-

Awmmmm, I'm tellin' Gravely that you didn't like something! I mean, what kind of guy would get a mower for a demo, them say anything negative about it?:hammerhead::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Another good review bro!

It sounds to me like the new 400 series has an awful lot in common with the JD 900's. JD is missing the mark by not making the suspension seat std, but everything else is very well laid out and useful. I forget why you don't want one- can't get one or something like that wasn't it? Too bad, because you may have been very happy. I still don't believe that the small discharge opening will be the best thing in/for wet grass with the Gravely, but they are mighty fine looking machines. I just wish we had more dealers around here in case of needing service or parts.

Discussion starter · #132 ·

Jim
Im going to use the kawi 30 weight for my first oil change. Then at 50 hours I will switch to mobil 1 10w-30. Thats what I run in all my equipment and have always had good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #133 ·
I havent had any traction problems yet. The 400 is a whole different animal than the 200. Give it a demo and let us know what you think.
Posted via Mobile Device

How does the 400 do on hills? The 260 wasnt that good

I also heard someone talk about using line-x. I guess in the first coats there is a really tough clear coat like glass, they were talking about getting new mowers sprayed. I dont know if this is true or not.

mtnmower-

Awmmmm, I'm tellin' Gravely that you didn't like something! I mean, what kind of guy would get a mower for a demo, them say anything negative about it?:hammerhead::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Another good review bro!

It sounds to me like the new 400 series has an awful lot in common with the JD 900's. JD is missing the mark by not making the suspension seat std, but everything else is very well laid out and useful. I forget why you don't want one- can't get one or something like that wasn't it? Too bad, because you may have been very happy. I still don't believe that the small discharge opening will be the best thing in/for wet grass with the Gravely, but they are mighty fine looking machines. I just wish we had more dealers around here in case of needing service or parts.
Yea. Big brother internet police are watching! Maybe the Walker guy will call my Gravely dealer as well!?!?!:laugh:

The main reason I won't consider JD is because of the persistent add that keeps popping up, that I must ex out of to get into this site!:dizzy:

No, really if you go about 14 threads up, you'll see the method to my madness. The 460 is a good mower. There may be greater mowers out there. One or two grand, when spending this much, is nothing in making my decision. I'll pay it in a heart beat to get the better mower. But when you're talking three to five grand difference when adding the options that's when I start rethinking things. I could by a new hydro walk behind or who know maybe gas with that extra green!

I'm not going to lie to you. The chute design still bothers me and I didn't get as much time as I'd of liked on different grass types, moisture, and slopes. I'm sure it has it's weak points. I was having trouble finding many in the time I had and as you've probably figured out by now, I can pick stuff apart pretty well (Just ask Walker). I can tell you, I cut side by side with my XR7 deck in fairly dry, thick, fine grass and the clipping dispersal was night and day. I could easily save myself half an hour to an hour blowing clippings and either make an early day of it or add another yard or two. I thought I had a grip on deck design, but when you look at the XR7 deck, Huskys deck, Scags, Deere, etc. they have a lot, and I mean a lot in common, yet the XR7 failed and the Husky was ok but not great, Scag and Deere seem to have the magic. You wouldn't think being so closely alike there would be this kind of difference. Yet this X factor, which looks like it should cause more problems way out performed the XR7 in clipping dispersal and I've tried about every baffle configuration available with no luck. I didn't think to throw a tape measure on the opening to see what it was. I know it's narrower than some but I was looking at my XR7 opening and I believe some of it is an optical illusion. My XR7 has about 4-5" of flat surface before the chute starts, the 460 has about 2". The XR7 has very little or no flat surface at the back of the deck. It pretty much goes right into the radius, but the 460 has this odd 6-8" chunk with an inner baffle at that point going inward toward the spindle. The 460 is more forward of center in the deck. I think if Gravely had not added this rear squared off section and you were looking at the radius curve of the deck it may not look so different. IMO this flat surface is there more to strengthen the deck for blower support when it's installed which seems like a good idea. So yea, I'm sure it's a little smaller but the thing that throws me off is I usually see the opening start further back on the deck and then extend all the way to the back, maybe with a tapered opening, without the hunk of flat 90 degree metal corner. It's hard for me to believe that with all the cad and wind tunnel computer type programs that a manufacturer can't find the perfect deck and blade recipe for northern and southern grasses and either offer a different deck for each area or a way to modify the deck to fit both areas.

Check this out! Uses a knob to mount to the deck. No more bungie cords!
Ah... So that's how it goes. When I took it off to see how it did without it, I left it in the yard and probably would have driven off and left it. The only down side is this farm boy can't make his homemade operator controlled chute blocker ( read a piece of rope) with this set up. I'd have to step it up and buy the city version. Great marketing on Gravelys part. Less liability if it's set in the normal position and if you want the best of both world you need to buy their chute blocker or an aftermarket version.

I just notice you deck has a square hole in the back top for the pin on the chute or blower. IIRC the 460 had a round hole and round pin. Is the pin on your chute and blower square or are you putting a round pin in a square hole?:laugh: Sorry couldn't help myself.

They are on the mower. Going out in a few to cut my lawn. These things are huge and beefy compared to the OEM blades.

121 - 140 of 696 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.