1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Gravely Promaster 20H Blown Fuse

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by neversink, May 27, 2007.

1. neversink

neversink LawnSite Member

Fuse between the ampmeter and hot side of the solenoid will burn out after 15-20 minutes of mowing. Then, it will blow a new fuse within minutes if you replace it immediately. Any ideas?

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the fuse the correct size?

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check the positive power lead (red) on the back of the ignition switch for rust/corrosion. If rusted the contacts inside are most likely burnt/shorted, Replace the switch and red connector.

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Also check the fuse holder. If the holder has rust/corrosion it may not hold the fuse tight and cause it it heat which will cause it to blow at a lower amp load than it should. A 20 amp fuse can blow at 10 amps if the fuse gets hot. This is called "cooking". When a fuse cooks it damages the holder even more until it is totally useless.

5. neversink

All connections are rust free. The fuse size was a 20 amp fuse. I bought this mower used, so I'm not sure of the fuse size for sure. I have tried 15, 20, 30 amp fuses. I can't find a wiring diagram for this ZTR mower

6. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Did the 20 & 30 amp fuses take the same amount of time before they blew?
    What I'm thinking, is IF they did, it's a heat related issue. Something starts drawing excessive current when it gets hot or something "moves", causing a short. Just what "heat related issue", I don't know.

DOES the ammeter start showing increasing current flow before the fuse blows?

7. Restrorob

If I had full model and serial numbers off this unit there's a good chance I may be able to drum up one.

Does this one have the Kohler or Onan ?

8. neversink

Promaster 20H, s/n 00633259, 60 in. deck, Kohler MV20S (57513)

9. Restrorob

Here's the wiring diagram.....

You may try by-passing the ammeter by connecting the pink/black and white/black together, I have seen ammeters short out.

[​IMG]

10. neversink

Thank for your help. I'll let you know what I find.