Gravely Spindle Life Expectancy - X Factor 2 decks

watsmi57

LawnSite Senior Member
Long time no see Lawnsite. Just realized I've been away for 7 years. Wow. Nothing against you guys. Just been busy cutting grass is all. ;) Nice to see you all still here.

So you guys that are running commercial Gravely mowers with the XF2 deck. What kind of life are you seeing out of your spindles? Got any idea at about what hour count your original spindles went bad? Trying to decide if this is my issue or not.

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
very easy to figure out. Remove deck belt so they spin freely. Do the spin freely? Is there play when you wiggle the ends of the blades?

MowDaddy

LawnSite Fanatic
I've got 900 plus hrs and still have original spindles. And these are hard hrs. Lots of hits, roots, brush cutting, baseball and softball hitting.
On my other Gravely's 5 of them.
Non Xfactor decks. Was around 1400 hrs when spindles started to go bad.

What kind of symptoms are you having? That would be a huge help.

OP
watsmi57

watsmi57

LawnSite Senior Member
I know the symptoms and I may be in the beginning stages. No real noise or vibration yet. No play or wiggle in the spindles yet. Just leaving some strips not cut so good on occasion. From what looks to be the center spindle. In my mower's defense though. We have been cutting some serious cabbage down here in the South. We have had unprecedented rain and growth in the last two months. So she has been working hard. Since just about every yard we do. We have to double cut these days. So it's hard to say if it's what we are cutting or not. Mower has no issues on the short easy stuff. Just curious how long these Gen2 deck spindles have lasted others. I'm at just under 1200 hours on this mower. It still has original spindles. My first gen Xfactor deck spindles did not last nearly this long.

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
Per my dealer anything between 500 and 1000 hours is considered premature.

My mower may be an exception. 1st 100 hours the guy before me mulched over grown bank owned homes across the state. Had a full mulch kit and would mow regardless of height. Then I sat up for a while before I got a hold of it. I've since took the mulch kit off but still been hard on it. My pro turn 452 had its first oem spindle go bad around 375 hours. I replaced it with an after market. The after market spindle lasted about 10 hours before my wife high centered a stump and killed the engine. Jacked up the key way so I replaced it again. Going good now.

Top Forums