Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting an older model gravely 50" belt drive w/b tommorow. I have read the decks are not the best, but i am use to a craftsman so it should be no problem. Now what about the rest of the mower? Are they pretty good? it will be used to mow a fex yards in the neighborhood, which my craftsman use to. So are they a decent mower?? Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
14,693 Posts
The old style 31 spline transmissions can be problematic and usually require replacement after a couple of years. The front caster bushings wear out quick. If the front casters are the single side support type they bend up easily. The front wheel bearings go out quick. The micro switches in the handlebars go bad on a regular basis. The 50" deck in addition to producing a poor cut tends to crack in the discharge area.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i got it. It is a model 988059 serial 001293, kawasaki engine fc420v. Any idea how old? And where to find a manual for it? Only probs are a spot on the deck needs some welding and a spindle needs to be replaced. The wheel belts look a little weathered cracked, but still pulls great. I will proably give him no more than 200$ And like you said high grass is clumpy, but still better than a craftsman. So price sound bout right?? Any idea bout age and getting a book??

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I have a three year old 50" gravely. The cut is great as long as conditions are perfect. Wet or tall then the cut s uc ks. It cuts even, but clumps bad. Replaced a spindle, and a tranny so far and that isn't good for a three year old machine. It has run perfect this year so far, but I don't want to jinx myself.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I doubt i will now him good. Most of the belts i can get from a friend, who can get after market stuff, a few things i proably will. But i have always seen good things about gravelys. It just depends what you are use to. On my end of town you see alot if gravelys, cause that is the major dealer. Now what kind of price am i looking at for a spindle?? Can i just put in bearings??

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
snapper, i've got that exact model here myself. i picked it up about 4 years ago for $900 off a dealer as a used model. I'm not sure about the age, myself as i didn't get any documentation with it either.

I've always gotten replacement belts from an auto parts store, I replaced my tranny this spring, which was about $225+/- and 15 minutes of wrench time doing it myself. I recently bought new blade cradles (2" to 2.5") off my dealer and it greatly improved the cut quality. It's not the greatest model for wet or tall grass, but its leaves a great cut when conditions are dry/damp. It stripes pretty good also.

Let me know if you want any more info on teh model.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey gravely guys, know any where to get the wheel belts other than a dealer? The gravely price was scary(said somthun around 40 bucks, don't no if is it was one side or two, i thought he maeant one)... But other than replacing the spindle bearing, it mows fine. I hop the other bearings last a while cause it was no fun changing them..

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
Originally posted by BSDeality

I recently bought new blade cradles (2" to 2.5") off my dealer and it greatly improved the cut quality. It's not the greatest model for wet or tall grass, but its leaves a great cut when conditions are dry/damp. It stripes pretty good also.

I liked my pro 150-50
John

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
snapper--that mower will do fine for you. especially if the price was low. if you get in wet grass the drive belts will slip. don't worry, all gravley belt drives do that.

I would however suggest that you try high lift bldes and whatever you do...keep whatever blade you are using sharp. I mean sharpen them about every day that you mow all day. good luck.

GEO

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey john, what is that black piece on the top of the deck?? Yea i resharpened the blades today. I didn't get them too sharp the other day because they were real dull, and i didn't want to drag ot the big grinder .But i did today and got them real sharp. An it does cut better. I even cut a yard faster than ever today. Now, i really need the info on the wheel belts. Anybody know the size of them? Or an aftermarket source? Or anywhere cheaper than gravely?/

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Snapper, i just looked in my garage but couldn't find my old belt receipts or slips. What i did was pop one of the belts off and go into an auto parts store and sized one up. Take one that's just a little smaller than the one you bring in. Same goes for the deck belts.

I too made the mistake of buying belts off my dealer once... i believe it was $75 or so for the deck drive belt!!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man what a difference when rpms are where they should be. It was running around 3000 and less, so bumped it to 34-3600 and man it sings and mows now. But i got a new qestion. How bad are sulkies on these mowers? How much faster do they wear belts? If thesiable i would like to find one because walking gets old. So what are your thoughts??

Thanks! snapper

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
snapper, i just put a single wheel on mine about 4 weeks ago. It definitely saves your energy bigtime. i used to be comepletely shot after mowing all day, but with it on there, i feel like i was just standing around all day (which i was :)).

It works well for me, but i'm only about 145# soakin wet after i eat, going up hills with it tends to make the front a little light, but you can lift on the bars to keep it down. I've been cruising almost all my lawns in 5th gear mowing, definitely a time saver with the sulky.

Can't say on the belts for sure, but i did notice it was slipping a little bit today after i was runnin it for about 2 hours on a big property. I just replaced my drive belts about 3 months ago, however i'm confident i can solve it just by readjusting the tensioners.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 95 Pro 150, 50 inch Kohler 14hp and have been using a 2X velky for the past three years with no problems. The biggest problem is when it is wet, the drive belts do slip on a incline, but I can live with that. The high price of the drive belts is due to being a matched set. In 8 years I have replaced the drive belts twice, so when you consider the length of use gotten out of a set of belts, the price is acceptable to me. Good luck with your Gravely.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nother question, anybody have any problems with the idler pulley under the motor for the deck belt becoming mis aligned? Mine seems to be. I thought it might be a bushing or sumthin. I tweaked it a litttle and it is alright. So any ideas??

Snapper

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
If you don't buy a sulky, you will only be able to use about 1/3 of the overall travel speed, unless you like to run behind your machine. I suggest getting a sulky if you haven't done so already.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.