Lawn Care Forum banner

Gravely's new deep deck 21" mower

9K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  lawnboy dan 
#1 ·
Looks like a high end homeowner mower. Lots of nice features. I wonder how it would hold up to commercial use?

#3 ·
I'd be willing to bet that it would hold up to commercial use !!

#4 ·
That looks like a really nice mower. However, at 2:32 it shows the belt running from the crank to the trans and it is running underneath the deck just above the blade. Unless that was just added to show the belt's path for some reason which that wasn't really necessary at that point in the video, that belt is not going to last very well, and I can see it causing slippage in wet grass and possible trans problems down the road. Otherwise, a very nice looking machine that I would think should hold up pretty well to commercial use.

#10 ·
That looks like a really nice mower. However, at 2:32 it shows the belt running from the crank to the trans and it is running underneath the deck just above the blade. Unless that was just added to show the belt's path for some reason which that wasn't really necessary at that point in the video, that belt is not going to last very well, and I can see it causing slippage in wet grass and possible trans problems down the road. Otherwise, a very nice looking machine that I would think should hold up pretty well to commercial use.
I was as surprised as you when I saw the belt underneath the deck with apparently no guard of any kind to protect it. It seems to me that wet grass could cause the belt to slip, and even worse, what would happen when you ran over (even small) sticks? Seems like that could cause the belt to be "thrown" on a regular basis.

I also read a post mentioning the plastic wheels, do you think they would last a reasonable time?

I know Gravely has been credited for listening to LCO's in the past, I wonder if they will now? Even though it's only "homeowner" quality, it would be interesting to find out what LCO's would tell Gravely to change about this mower.

#11 ·
I'd say that Gravely def needs to do something with thaT belt if it indeed runs under the deck like that.:hammerhead:

I think the plastic wheels will hold up for quite a long time if made from good plastic(s). My old Jacobsen 19" trim and rough cut pusher is 42 years old and it has ran on the original plastic wheels for all but 5 or so years of that time. I swapped them out for steel wheels with bearings to make it even esier to push, but the originals are still in good shape. That old mower has covered more ground (and a lot of really rough ground at that) than probably about any mower on this site anywhere. Still going strong too.:)

#13 ·
My Ariens LM 21 classic has the drive belt under the deck but it has a shield that goes over it. I wonder if in this video it was just for show?

Im still a huge fan of my Honda HRC's hydro drive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Surely there's a gaurd of some sort if that's where it runs. Sticks, leaves, grass etc., would ruin that belt in short order without one.

#15 ·
Surely there's a gaurd of some sort if that's where it runs. Sticks, leaves, grass etc., would ruin that belt in short order without one.
After watching the vid again that part looks computer animated. Its got to be just showing the under side without guards on.
Posted via Mobile Device

#16 ·
After watching the vid again that part looks computer animated. Its got to be just showing the under side without guards on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe you're right, but I paused it at the point where it shows the belt, and then blew up the pic. There are three holes in the center of the blade, one for mounting and two others. The top one is located right over the belt where it is at in the pic and it is dark behind the hole which indicates the balck belt is showing though. The bottom hole is located over the silver spindle housing and the silver is showing though the hole. If it were CGI or something similar, I don't believe they'd have gone to the trouble of blackening out the upper hole to simulate it being over the belt because it's doubtful many would nocite that.

#17 ·
Maybe you're right, but I paused it at the point where it shows the belt, and then blew up the pic. There are three holes in the center of the blade, one for mounting and two others. The top one is located right over the belt where it is at in the pic and it is dark behind the hole which indicates the balck belt is showing though. The bottom hole is located over the silver spindle housing and the silver is showing though the hole. If it were CGI or something similar, I don't believe they'd have gone to the trouble of blackening out the upper hole to simulate it being over the belt because it's doubtful many would nocite that.
Your probably right. Im on my iphone so the vid is small.
Posted via Mobile Device

#19 ·
Well, as we both know, Gravely makes great equipment, so I have to believe that the belt is covered somehow when in use.
Did want to show you the deck with the belt cover in place:

#22 ·
#23 ·
The pro one looks nice. I like the Kawasaki and the drive system engagement system looks better built than the resi one.

EVERYTHING LOOKS BETTER ON THE PRO MACHINE...

#26 ·
another commercial mower with only ONE SPEED!-useless in real world mowing
Clearly states variable speed from 0-3.75 mph. I have to assume they are not lying...My LM21 classic is also variable speed and it works just fine, although I prefer my Honda HRC hydro drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.