1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Grease Questions.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bommaritro, Apr 25, 2003.

1. bommaritro

bommaritro LawnSite Member

What type do you use? Do any of you switch from one to another depending on the time of the season? Also I am curious if there is any brand that I should watch out for.

The reason that I am asking is that a auto parts store is going out of business in my area and they have 5 cases of Slick 50 PTFE with Teflon additive that I can pick up for $10 a case. I know the owner pretty well so he is cutting me a deal. I figure this should be enough grease to last for a long time.

Thanks,
    Ron

2. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

Here's the kicker: All those engine treatments, greases, oils, "Castor Oils" that have PTFE in them have an inherant problem. They advertise that it is a super smooth additive that increases lubrication, decreases heat, etc....

PTFE is indeed very smooth, but it's a SOLID! PTFE is the chemical name for Teflon, a product patented by DuPont. Look at a cooking pan...that's Teflon.

I wont put "solids" in my bearings. Schaffers synthetic it is for me.

If you cant get that, Mobil 1 syn is good too.

3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been just using trailer bearing grease for $3- a tube.

Can someone please tell me where I can get some

mobil one grease or amsoil.

Thanks in advance.

4. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

We just use whatever cheap, you gotta grease them everyday anyway

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would not personally use this grease for the above-mentioned reason. I am a large fan of marine grade grease for stuff like wheels that gets wet quite often. I do not use this type of grease for spindles.

Gravely_Man

6. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

Mobil 1 grease is something you'll probably have to go to a Mobil distrubutor for...Amsoil is sold only at dealers. www.amsoil.com

7. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

I go by the drop point.
    Read the label it will either be 350 deg or 500 deg.
    I get the 500 deg at Walmart for 1.97 a tube.

8. hoffmanlandscaping

hoffmanlandscaping LawnSite Member

Don't cheap out on the grease espcially for the spindles. I have three differnet types of grease that I use one for the wheel bearings, one for the chasis, and the last for the spindle. I alway get the best grease that my dealer has and alway stick to the manufacturers recomendation on what type. Do other wise and your just asking for something to fail. I depend on my equipment too much.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we use Kendal Blue

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've been using Mobile 1. It's about $4.50 a tube.