1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Greasing Trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by wiseguyslawn, Mar 21, 2008.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Just got done with the greasing of my mowers, and was wondering if it is necessary to grease anything on trucks. I have a 96 f250 and a 05. Or is everything sealed.

2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Central NY

Twice yearly, we grease A-arms and ball joints in the front end. I've got Chevy's, not sure of your Fords, but probably similar.

3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

wow are you kiding!!!! i greese my truck every time i change the oil.

4. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

even on newer trucks that are only a couple years old have zerts. I take it the zerts are only in the front end where the ball joints and a-arms are. Im only 22 and trying to learn all the preventative maintenance I can learn. Thanx again

5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

just search for them, or the dealer can give you a map of the truck that will show you where they all are. the more you greese them the longer they will last, once a week isnt over kill.

6. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

just crawl under and look for the fittings. i agree twice a year is nowhere near enough unless the truck sits more than it moves

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I grease my truck once a month if its the rainy season then twice a month. Grease is cheap parts are not.

You will have 4 tie rod ends to grease if the ball joints are aftermarket you will have 4 of them to grease if you have aftermarket U joints you will have 5 of them to grease.

During greasing the truck gets a inspection looking for leaks, loose bolts etc because if you spot potential problems early it will save you money and headaches down the road.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeh get up under there and check for fittings, once a year for me, may not be often enough but most drivers never do this.

9. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

look everywhere, i keep all my things greased, mowers, dump beds/hoists, trucks, tractor, etc. one day, my enclosed trailer door wouldnt close right. one of the hinges snapped off the door. i couldnt figure out why until i noticed the grease fittings and about cried when i realized i had never ever greased them. you think you've got everthing and realized you forgot one of the easies spots....A HINGE!!

10. GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

My Ford Ranger had all sealed fittings. NO Greasing.