1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Great Dane Chariot VS Any ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn DOG, May 16, 2001.

1. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

I am considering purchasing another Great Dane. I would like to hear the opinions of others who have Danes. How do you like yours? I would also like to hear from any other owners who have any helpful tips in this department. I have considered the dixie chopper but can't bring myself to spend 10 to 12 grand on a mower.:confused:

2. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed the dane and almost bought one,there built very well and have a nice cut,if your happy with them id buy another.I demoed several others a ended up buying a Toro Z-Master they cut great in rain and also when its dry, but the great danes are great mowers also,there a little heavy, I do see several around town. Marks Mowing Service

3. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

We bought a 61" chariot the end of last year and its a great mower. Besides the fact we had to replace the motor with 3 hours on it LOL the mower itself is very well built quite easy to work on i think and its cut is very very good at high speeds. The only complaint i can bring about is the seat could be a bit more comfortable.

:cool:

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Love mine also, 3 years and no problems.

5. LiVe2

LiVe2 LawnSite Member

I would have to second that about the seat, it does get bumpy sometimes. I love how fast it cuts too. I got mine for $7000 new, I just heard John Deere bought dane

LiVe

6. Rob

Rob LawnSite Member

7. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Danes all the way baby! Love mine!

8. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

I have a chariot and a turf tiger, and I can honestly say that the dane is a better machine even though the same man made them both. The great dane mows fast, handles hills and banks good. The seat was uncomfortable, but I purchased one of those suspension seats to put on mine. Costs about 4 or 5 hundred dollars, but is well worth it considering less fatigue, and the capibility of going faster on bumpy ground without be bounced out of the seat. The only thing that I dislike about it, I guess, and its not really a big deal is grass accumalates by the belts in no time at all. It seems that I can be on the mower for an hour and grass will be crammed around the pulleys. I'm constantly cleaning the deck off.
    Since I bought the dane, I have used the opti-4 motor oil. Ever seen it, this stuff seems to be the stuff. It costs allittle more, but it doubles your engine warranty. I have a Kohler on my dane, and now I have a 4 year engine warranty. Can't beat that, considering it costs only about $15 dollors to change the oil every 75 hours.( every month)