1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Great Dane Dilema

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Bronco, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Bronco

Bronco LawnSite Member

I've got a great dane chariot ztr with about 500 hrs. I brought it into the shop because is was losing compression and back firing. Shop told me engine was shot, had exhaust blow by, and needed to be replaced. Cost $2100.
    The machine has always been trouble. Is it worth replacing for $2100? Any cheaper fix instead of new engine?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. :cry:

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Take it to another shop. Losing compression can be from many things. Bad valves, bad rings, bad or stuck lifters (Kohler engine). A short block would be a lot cheaper. It sounds like you need to go to another shop ansd see what they say. Back firing sounds like valve problems. You could just have a sticking valve. Get the machine back and try running some SEA-FOAM though it first to try and unstick any valve you may have. I still thank you should get a second shop to look at it from what you are saying here it sounds like the engine can be saved for a lot less than $2100.

3. Bronco

Bronco LawnSite Member

Thanks fixer67. I'll give that I try.