Great Dane walk behind no spark HELP!!!

chazdo2

LawnSite Member
This mower has a Kawasaki FC 420V - HS09. It doesn't have the ignition module at least if it does I cant find it. I got on the parts list for the engine and it doesn't show it, Machine has no spark. I pulled the kill wire off the coil still no spark. Coil resistances are good. Checked the gap good. Plug and cap are good. replaced the coil anyway with a new one with the proper part number still no spark.
I have read that if the motor has no ignition module the coil has the electronics in it. Is this true? How do I know what the right coil is? I cant think of anything stopping the spark but the coil now. The magnet on the flywheel is the one bolt one and is magnetic. I am at a huge loss here any and all help appreciated!!!!
coil part number I bought is this 21121-2086 or AM 121820

Last edited:

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
Sounds like you have done everything correctly in testing. Only things I can think of is the new coil installed the exact same way as the old one? Some coils will not work if installed upside down. Also, is the coil gapped at .010”? A business card works great. Good luck.

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
Sorry, not sure what to advise next, here is the troubleshooting chart for your engine
From what I read on the chart the next thing to replace is the flywheel. If the flywheel magnets are in place and have strong power, might want to contact Kawasaki for technical support.
When I goggled ignition coils for this model, Amazon showed an “igniter”, a silver module that is used on certain models like John Deere. Don’t know if you unit has this part.

OP
C

chazdo2

LawnSite Member
new plug and it sparked on a mower I had laying around. I have a text into Kawasaki tech. I have found that different sites have a different coil part number even with the entire model and serial number of the engine. I hope I have the wrong coil!!

OP
C

chazdo2

LawnSite Member
Yipppeee !! Bit the bullet bought an expensive OEM coil with cap fired right up!!! Strange the aftermarket new coil was within a few ohms of the OEM well within spec still wouldnt work.

Top Forums