• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

great gutter cleaning attachment 2 story high safe blower vacuum

roody2333

LawnSite Bronze Member
most people are fine with a 4/12 pitch roof, once you get into 6, and forget about 9 and 12 it's either should harness and takes forever anyway or move a ladder along and takes forever also and that's if there's nothing in the way like a porch, tree etc. don't even go on 9/12.

originally I saw those black tube kits ecco etc but they're just too flimsy when attaching a whole bunch to try and get 2 stories up. So I bought 2.5 inch pvc grey electrical conduits (has flared end to connect them) and put two together with a pvc elbo on top and the shop vac hose fits good and can tape it for better suction and did it like that but it gets heavy on the shoulders after a while and clogs and takes a while and have to stand directly udner and can lead to a stiff neck, and can be a nightmare just to try and disconnect the two to clear clogs with a telescopic pole or to transport.

I watched like hundreds of these gutter tool videos and am very happy with my set up. Originally I thought blowing would just blow everything back on the roof but it doesn't. You can bend the end of this thing however you want to also. You can attach it to a shop vac if needed, that's what the small piece of gutter is for that it has notches cut out so it doesn't suction itself to the gutter. I usually just use the blower though. if there's any sticks, balls, etc stuck in there I got a 25 ft mr longarm telescopic painter pole and attach Gutter Sense hinged grabbing tool and works great.

the rubber fittings just so happen to fit perfectly to the blower and then a square downspout adapter. the hose if from a shopvac. You have to stuff the one downspout quite a bit into the other one to connect them and have it solid and doing so can undo the crimped fold that makes the downspout rectangular and not unwind, so I tape it longways (hidden within the overlap) and it doesn't come apart.

need a blower you can lock down the throttle open to have both hands on the pipes obviously but most backpacks do that.

this does get gutters really clean but there is sometimes some muck left behind that could be washed out, even if you are on the roof and put a blower directly to it sometimes that much doesn't really budge, and if it does it makes a mess, it's best to wash it out but usually in places where it freezes, leaves are still falling after it's been freezing out and hoses should already be winterized but you can do a quick follow up in Spring with water or do the muck part in early Fall (which is usually accumulated from years before and is not from that years leaves anyway). To wash out you can just attach an elbo to a 25 ft painters pole and tape a garden hose to it, I use a pressure washer telescopic wand (on low pressure, red tip) with a hook gutter attachment though.
Usually if you leave the muck though it's not like it'll really affect the gutter performance, and once they're cleaned of leaves, rain eventually cleans it out anyway. Often there's no muck anyway, or just some spots here and there.
you can tape a cell phone to the end of this and record video to confirm everything's good and clean.

If you don't clean your gutters, leaves weigh it down and then it sags the wrong way and doesn't flow correct and overflows and then can get too much water around foundation can weaken it, overwork basement sump pump, splashing on wood siding rots it faster, etc.

Gutter guards are always a problem, what happens is the screen types still lets small stuff through and accumulates and weighs the gutters down and re slopes them. And to clean them you need to remove them and/or use water and be up there with them and that's when it's even more costly. The other types like gutter helmet or the ones like a foam pool noodle what happens is when it rains heavy the holes in them are too small and the water just runs right over them.

there is vacuum-only is popular in england and stuff, products like SkyVac runs about $4,000 and only vacuums, does a good job, is basically doable with just a shopvac though and aluminum poles which are light but durable, I tried sourcing aluminum poles when making this one but maybe couldn't find them easily or better price and just use the downspouts were like $8 each and very light).

gutter viper is also good,,
it only blows, no vacuum but usually that's all you need, it's light and easy to maneuver because you just attach it to a telescopic painters pole and the tube part is light fabric.

Two downspouts as pictured will reach most 2 stories, you can probably add a third or a half if needed.

you're welcome.

Attachments

Last edited:

No gloves

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks for the info.i still use a handheld and get on my own roof and shoot with water because of guards but may have to give a set up like this a try soon

OP
R

roody2333

LawnSite Bronze Member
can be a nightmare just to try and disconnect the two to clear clogs with a telescopic pole or to transport.
just from the weight of it and the muck that gets pulled through it, when attaching two ~10 foot conduits together it's like impossible to pull them apart sometimes they get jammed, I think I just cut it in half to get it back in the truck the final time I used it, tapping at it with a hammer and chisel etc sometimes works, had to put the truck tire half way on it to hold the other end and twist it out.

Gutter guards, yes you can skip some cleanings (maybe every other year or so depending on how much leaves and what types, pollen, roof shingle granules etc) but you can't just have them installed and think you'll never have to clean the gutters. Some people think it's a scam to say that guards are a problem as if it's forcing to pay for gutter cleaning, but I suggest just gooling something like 'are gutter guards good/worth it' and check youtube you'll see companies that basically only do gutter cleaning almost always say gutter guards are a problem. Considering the national average for a 2 story gutter cleaning is ~$200, that's just to clean them which is usually just blown out and washed (if garden hose not winterized or if unwinterize temporarily), but obviously cost more to remove guards if they're been neglected for so long that they can't be hosed out while in place, plus then the gutters are also probably sagged and ineffective. Having said that, the wire cage thing stuffed in the downspout is good but should be maintained yearly, it prevents sticks etc from clogging the downspout which will accumulate more debris and eventually clog.

OP
R

roody2333

LawnSite Bronze Member
I had some type of a gutter top system installed 12 years ago and have never had a problem. Sorry, I don't remember what Brand.
well all i see is gutter guards are clogged, same with all the gutter guys on youtube and blogs, that's if there's a good amount of leaves, they will fail and if left then the gutters will likely also sag the wrong ways.

Rubber gloves and a big azz bucket. do it shortly after a rain and before freezing. Walk the roof whenever possible. Nothing faster
I'm talking about steep roofs though that should not be walked on without a harness, or if thinking about moving an extension ladder along the way when there's obstacles in the way, plus this extension is super fast.

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
well all i see is gutter guards are clogged, same with all the gutter guys on youtube and blogs, that's if there's a good amount of leaves, they will fail and if left then the gutters will likely also sag the wrong ways.

I guess I got lucky. I wish I could remember which brand they are so I could recommend them.

cold-beer

LawnSite Senior Member
I walk the roof with a handheld blower. If it's too steep or a 2nd story roof, I use a ladder and a bucket with an extendable gutter cleaning tool. I don't do 3 story homes generally.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
I had some type of a gutter top system installed 12 years ago and have never had a problem. Sorry, I don't remember what Brand.
I'm glad they're working for you but from what I see these sorta/kinda work depending. If there's not many trees near the house then maybe. While they may work for a while in time there becomes a grit type buildup that the guards don't stop which eventually impedes the water flow. In my area there's a lot of pine trees and the needles are more problematic than just leaves.