• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Green Garde JD9

Turfdoctor1

LawnSite Senior Member
When I started spraying lawns, my supplier at the time sold me a Green Garde JD9 gun. I have used this gun with fan nozzles for 5 years and never had a problem. The barrell stays in the same position all the time.

I am starting to do pest control, and called Westheffer to purchase a new gun. I asked if there was a gun that could be used for both perimeter sprays and lawn applications. They said no, but the JD9 gun is what I needed for perimeter sprays. They said that there is no way that I could be accurately using the JD9 gun for lawn applications.

I felt like an idiot. I did not know there was anything wrong with using this gun for lawn applications. No problems using it in 5 years. Anyone else use this type gun for lawns? any problems with it?

Young Bros

LawnSite Senior Member
From my experience the JD9 has too small of droplets for safe lawn care apps. I would say it would drift too much. Lesco or Tee Jet is what we use/used for lawn apps.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
You can use any gun you want as long as you are getting good coverage and as per the product label. If it works for you go for it.

I have been using a JD-9 gun for over twenty years.
If wind speed is up I switch to a Lesco lawn gun with a yellow tip.
To facilitate changes I mounted a high flow hydraulic coupler on the hose end and the male barbs on each gun.
Shut off the pump, snap on the appropriate gun and back to spraying.
I prefer the JD-9 gun as I can reach farther which is real helpful when spraying over fence lines but the Lesco lawn gun is more useful in yards with high privacy fences so I'm not walking in a cloud of mist.
Like I said, they both have their uses.

a plus bob

LawnSite Bronze Member
I use the jd 9 for tree work,and perimeter only never seen it used for lawn in the 20+ yrs I have been doing this.But if it works for you go with it!I have seen adapters to put a Chemlawn gun nozzle on one before but never seen it used.

ted putnam

LawnSite Fanatic
I use the jd 9 for tree work,and perimeter only never seen it used for lawn in the 20+ yrs I have been doing this.But if it works for you go with it!I have seen adapters to put a Chemlawn gun nozzle on one before but never seen it used.
Same here. I've seen the shower nozzle attachment in catalogues but never seen one in action. I've always used the chemlawn gun for lawn spraying.

Side note: JDL is now selling the "Chinese" version of the chemlawn gun at about half the cost of the american made version. My dad always said the Russians were the least of our worries. He said the Chinese were the ones we needed to keep an eye on. I believe he was right in more ways than one.

a plus bob

LawnSite Bronze Member
Same here. I've seen the shower nozzle attachment in catalogues but never seen one in action. I've always used the chemlawn gun for lawn spraying.

Side note: JDL is now selling the "Chinese" version of the chemlawn gun at about half the cost of the american made version. My dad always said the Russians were the least of our worries. He said the Chinese were the ones we needed to keep an eye on. I believe he was right in more ways than one.
Look how well that worked out for lesco the chinese spreaders are POS new

ted putnam

LawnSite Fanatic
Look how well that worked out for lesco the chinese spreaders are POS new
I should have been clear as well. You have your CHOICE of either. I agree with you Bob, the chinese spreaders suck. I will stick with the American made gun as long as they'll sell it!:usflag:

americanlawn

LawnSite Fanatic
Same here. J-D9's are mainly for pest control....not for spraying turf. Started out using ChemLawn guns in the late 70's, but later switched to TeeJet lawn guns (w/grey nozzles) after experiencing wrist & elbow pains cuz the TeeJet lawn gun is much lighter weight. The TeeJet lawn gun quickly eliminated my joint problems, so now that's all we use regarding lawn spraying.

For spraying over 30 feet, we use "tree rifles", but under 30 feet, the J-D9 ROCKS! Wasp nest in the corner ..... we BLAST 'em with the J-D9!....pretty much sending them bastards into another planet. :laugh: Also works great for spraying "Mosquito Barrier" etc. (thanks Barry, we'll be ordering more) :usflag::canadaflag: