Green Products - Green Money

Lawn132012

LawnSite Member
I am installing a New GREEN treatment system for my clients. How much extra should I charge for giving these clients a GREEN alternative? People are under impression GREEN products are costing us more to treat their lawns. I have talked to several companies and they charge like an extra 20% for GREEN product usage.
What are your thoughts?

I am going to use this product called SumaGreen Turf which is actually pretty cheap (30 cents per 1000 sq/ft) but when I priced out what I was going to spend according to Holganix (my friends pricing from last year) I was going to spend more per treatment. It was close to that of fertilizers. So most of my clients already think they would be paying more. Now that I am going to use SumaGreen Turf I will actually be spending less then Holganix and Fertilizers.

The best part is SumaGreen products won an award from Popular Science so I am going to push that with my clients which to me says I may be able to stick o that 20% increase. Any thoughts?
Thanks

easy-lift guy

LawnSite Gold Member
What if your customers don't read Popular Science?, If I was a customer and I was presented a pitch like that I would be wanting some more information tp compare one product against the other or others.
easy-lift guy

OP
L

Lawn132012

LawnSite Member
Lift-Guy
Yeah I would say maybe 10% if that read Popular Science that i deal with but it is the Name "Popular Science" that people recognize and know to be of good reputation.
My company will put award in the brochure to show how good it will be for their lawn and children/pets. Not many products can say they won the award for the best new green technology especially when it comes to having safe products for their lawns.

The price is a good deal on SumaGreen Turf so that there is plenty of room to give a good quote or even price up being that it is Organic

Durabird02

LawnSite Member
Why not just charge what it would cost for regular fertilizer if the sumagreen costs you less. Atleast i think that is what you said in your original post. Sell the fact that it is organic and it is the same price as regular...just an idea.

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
I have a question. I looked at their website and whats up with their prices? The smaller sizes are cheaper whats with that? Also their app rates are way off. 1/2 gal does 1 acre for first apop? Thats appr 43,000 sq at 4oz per thousand that 184 oz. one gallon is 128 oz. Then regular apps at 2oz per thousand and 1/4 gal covers on acre? Too bad 2 oz per thousand times 43,000= 84oz which is over 1/2 gal nt the 1/4 gal or 32oz. Something is not right with this.

OP
L

Lawn132012

LawnSite Member
Durabird - That is a good idea and yes I was thinking of that but with Organic Application I may be able to get more up front especially near the water. Especially with concerns about fertilizer run off by the shore

Baxter- Not sure what you are talking about as the application sheet they sent me says nothing about the acres as it is broken down by 1000 sq/ft.

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
Check out their website its a little bit different. I was looking at it. I was thinking spray fert can be added to the mix I spray and even if its the same price per k still work out better with less time but based on their website somethin aith right.

OP
L

Lawn132012

LawnSite Member
Baxter- I was actually thinking of doing 3 of my own little tests on several lawns with it by adding 1/4 pound fert with 2 oz of the Sumagreen Turf, then 1/8 pound fert with 2 oz and just 2 oz of the sg turf. I really just want to see the difference int he greening up period. I am expecting the 1/4 fert with 2 oz obviously will probably be the quickest but I guess I want to know how quick.

Not sure what you mean by SG site not making sense. I looked at the "Application" page and it looks basically like what they sent me. I did see the "Products" page and the brochure which I may print out to give to clients as it goes over a lot of the stuff people may ask me about with why the product is better for their grass and safer then fertilizers.

OP
L

Lawn132012

LawnSite Member
Pics. I will make sure I do that. I am going to start today with a little side by test with the fertilizer I use with the sg turf. I was going to see if I could get some Holganix from my buddy that used them last year but I will do a another one when he gets me some.

I will post pics on site after a few days.