Greenery Design Dilemma

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by Thisjm, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Thisjm

Thisjm LawnSite Member

Hey guys! I'm doing a this large gazebo which is the centerpiece of an affluent lakefront village that has a huge Victorian/Dicken's theme every year with actors in period costume.

It's usually draped in the obvious route garland would take along the railings so to differentiate I'm going with wreaths in each 6' section. The dilemma is this:

The height of the cutout boards between the top rail and bottom trim is 24" so I thought I'd use a 20" wreath to give it some room to breathe but it does not come pre-lit in the bulbs I need. I can wrap it in 50L to match the garland but it will be much more dense. A 35L would be more than enough but not available either.

Or, I can go with a pre-lit 24" wreath and save the potential headache of wrapping myself, (total newbie here.)

Any thoughts on visual impact of either option or on the logistical end to make them hang just right?

Also, do you think a 12" bow would be gigantic? Do you know of a good source for puff-style bows that you'd be willing to give up?

TIA

image.jpg

2. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Gold Member

I would just use 24". Unless you have worked at a factory in China I think you will find trying to string a wreath is a giant pain. If they want the best try the Cheyenne from Vickerman. Use their 18" nylon bows with gold trim. Give Dara a call she is my go to person.

3. OP
    OP
    Thisjm

Thisjm LawnSite Member

Thanks, you're right. The 20" would probably be more ideal but there are nine of them and I don't have time for that! The 24" should still look great and I'll need that time to figure out how to install them well.

I was originally thinking the Cheyenne but am actually going with the Mixed Country. I like the twigs, smaller pinecones and natural look of it. It has fewer tips than the mixed country but I think it will go with the throwback Dickens theme and the upstate NY winter well. I'll post photos when I get them.

18" bow not too big on the 24"?

4. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Gold Member

I meant to say 36" wreath. Even if it hangs down a little it should look fine. Anything less then a 36" tends to look like a toy or donut.