1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Grey leaf spot.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Marine03112, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Silver Member

Do any of you all have issues with this? Late summer seems to be bad. What fungicides are you all using? Any help would be wonderful.

hort101 likes this.
  2. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

It really showed up bad 2018as it turned out and not much was really known about it until too late. Not so much last year because of the dry weather in August and early September.

I never treated for this particular disease so no real evidence on what works, but am checking out which fungicides are labeled for it.

I am in the process of putting a cheat sheet together listing diseases and what fungicides and rates to use on them so I don’t have to go looking at all the labels of the different products I use. Should save time and frustration and should have done this years ago.

hort101 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Marine03112

Going to use PPZ in early summer then late summer move to eagle or heritage. I need to stop tons of damage. Hopefully we get a bit drier season. No drought but drier.

4. TurfWerks

TurfWerks LawnSite Senior Member

I hit it with Propiconizole last year and it worked, but looking into different options this year. Damaged a lot of St. Aug here. Didnt help chinch bugs broke out at the same time

5. OP
    OP
    Marine03112

Heritage will help. Also putting PPZ also down as a preventative also helps quite a bit I am told. Went to several classes this winter and focused on my fungus diseases. Learned quite a bit for this year coming up. Thanks for the info.

6. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Bronze Member

Marine, were you the one that posted the video in late 2018 showing GLS damage to newly seeded tall fescue?

7. OP
    OP
    Marine03112

No sir wasn’t me. Just really brushing up on my disease education due to all the damage in Lehigh and Northampton counties in PA. Getting worse over the years. Losing clients due to not properly addressing it. Won’t happen ever again. Customer takes fungicides or will be notified of the consequences.

8. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Applying fungicides is only a short term curative. Reacting to turf grass diseases will not solve the problem.
    Preventative practices such as changing the conditions in which diseases thrive are much more successful. Cultural practices such as proper irrigation, reducing synthetic fertilizers and improving soil health will go a long way in preventing many problems and keep your clients happier. I know of many LCO's who have been very successful by following the practices mentioned in these articles.

Managing turfgrass diseases
    Environmental conditions strongly influence disease occurrence. Although many of the causal agents are always present in turf, diseases do not occur until conditions are favorable for pathogen development. For example, brown patch disease requires wet, humid conditions during warm to hot weather. Being aware of the conditions that increase disease potential is important in taking preventive measures such as applying fungicides before symptoms appear. But before fungicides are considered, there are several turfgrass management practices that need discussion in hopes of reducing the potential for disease.
    https://ipm.missouri.edu/MEG/2009/7/Reducing-the-Risk-of-Turfgrass-Diseases/

Soils and fertility

Soil biology
    Weed, disease and insect problems and poor turfgrass performance are often symptoms of an incomplete or deficient soil system. Pests are typically kept in check with pesticides, and poor turfgrass performance is routinely dealt with by adding more synthetic fertilizers and additional water. But the underlying problem may be related to either biological or abiotic (nonliving) components of that soil, or a combination of both.

Turf is healthiest in a biologically balanced soil — one in which bacteria account for slightly more than half of the biomass. Bacteria thrive in soils that contain residues high in carbohydrates, such as sugars and starches. Organic fertilizers such as vegetable and animal meals and compost made from food waste or manure contain the carbohydrates necessary to sustain a bacteria-dominated soil.
    Applying carbohydrates and proteins, ingredients usually not included in many synthetic fertilizers, is part of a “feed the soil” philosophy. Maintaining a balanced, healthy soil system ensures that the essential nutrients we apply are used efficiently (Figure 3).

[​IMG]
    Figure 3
    An excellent indicator of a healthy soil is the existence of earthworms or
    earthworm castings.

https://extension2.missouri.edu/g6749

Guerscape and walkinonwater27 like this.
  9. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

You seem to be saying that synthetic fertilizers are a cause of turf disease is that really the impression you wanted to give?

10. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

If that's the only thing you got from my post, I didn't communicate very well. As the articles point out, there are many factors contributing to turf diseases. Perhaps another way to say it is. "the exclusive use of synthetic fertilizer does little to encourage soil microbes that will out compete disease ".

NPK are necessary for healthy plants, however they are not the end all and be all of growing healthy turfgrass,
    As one of the article states,
    Applying carbohydrates and proteins, ingredients usually not included in many synthetic fertilizers, is part of a “feed the soil” philosophy. Maintaining a balanced, healthy soil system ensures that the essential nutrients we apply are used efficiently.

Applying the correct amount of fertilizer is an important aspect of maintaining a healthy, dense lawn with good disease resistance. Fertilization influences turfgrass growth, which in turn influences the recuperative ability of stressed grass. All turfgrasses require nitrogen, and certain sites may also require other nutrients, including iron, on a regular basis. Applying too much nitrogen, especially in a highly soluble, fast-release form, can result in excessive, succulent leaf and stem growth, leading to increased opportunities for fungal penetration that might result in diseases such as brown patch, Pythium blight, and leaf spot. Over-fertilized lawns also require more frequent mowing and watering. Conversely, lawns grown under nitrogen-deficient conditions are prone to dollar spot, rust, and red thread diseases.
    http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7497.htm

I'm just trying to stress the point that adding organic matter has many benefits and should be a part of any lawn care program.